Canon Lens Help!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrcowdude20, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mrcowdude20 macrumors regular

I am stuck on what lens/lenses to buy. Currently, I have a Canon T3 and am going to be shooting indoor basketball. I have done a ton of research on this. My choices are, but not limited to:

• Sigma 70-200mm 2.8
    • Tamron 70-200mm 2.8
    • Canon 85mm 1.8
    • Any other

My budget is less than one thousand ($1,000).
    Thanks,
    mrcowdude20!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I would go with the Sigma over the Tamron ... I had the Sigma a few years ago, and it was a very nice lens.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Can you borrow a zoom, and sit in a basketball court to see what sort of focal lengths you need (also what speed of lens you need)?

I've seen good reviews for the Sigma - and I watched a great online review (which I'm posting). Can't go far wrong with that.

Another $1000 lens to add to your list is the 135 f2 - which is an awesome and fast lens, but may not have the flexibility you need for this application.

----------------

This is a review of the Nikon version. You might find the guy a bit annoying at first, but I think he's funny.

4. Bear macrumors G3

I actually have no experience with Sigma lenses. However, I have used Tamron lenses and I am was less than impressed by their zoom mechanisms. So I guess go with the people who say Sigma.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

4th option:

canon ef 135mm f2L USM

will set you back $1014 on amazon

6. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

I would first try to narrow it down to prime vs zoom. Different people have various styles and preferences. Personally I like the flexibility of zooms, some swear by the quality/speed of primes.

7. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

I have the EOS1000D, (Rebel XS)

and I bought two additional lenses:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (approx $120) great prime fixed sharp lens and the
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens (around $1K) great auto focus zoom.

My old Canon EOS lenses that I bought in Boston in 1986 still work on my EOS1000D, but my 1989 SIGMA 'EOS' 300mm Zoom, doesn't - it crashes the new camera every couple of shots. If you plan on using a 3rd party manufacturer who has (partially) reverse-engineered the EOS lens command structure, then it might work for a decade - but probably won't work after 25 years!

8. gaz81 macrumors member

gaz81

9. mrcowdude20 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I happen to look at all of his videos. He is awesome! I just didn't find that video! Thanks!

10. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I have used the Tamron, Sigma and the Canon in the 70-200 f2.8. The Tamron while sharper at the 200 length, is very slow to focus and isnt always spot on. A lot of set up is needed to get it right. If you cant go with the Canon, the Sigma is a great choice. It focuses fast and is very good in color reproduction. I personally just got the Canon non IS version and love it. I had rented it numerous times over and probably paid for it twice in rental fees over the last 5 years. It was time I dropped the cash. If you are considering spending a grand, chip in the few extra hundred for the Canon. Otherwise the Sigma will do you great and it doesnt have the stigma of a white lens that some facilities consider a "pro" lens and wont let you in with.

Primes are really nice as well, the downside being with sports and action you have less options. They are a sharper image but you will find yourself limited. They arent always the fastest in the zoom department. I have a 50 1.4 and it focuses super slow at wide open. Gets better in the 2.0-2.8 dept. If you go to the 85 1.8 you will end up stopping it down to 2.8 for the sharper image which is still great indoors, especially under overhead sports lighting. Now high school gyms might find a little bit of issue. You will find yourself wanting to bump the ISO.

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I had the sigma for a sort period of time, it was a great lens. I did end up returning it as I felt it was a bit soft on the long focal lengths (especially for large print).

That may have just been my copy that was bad, but have had no regrets moving to the Canon 70-200 2.8 Non IS lens.