Canon MF4320d on AirPort Extreme problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by takemore, Jun 14, 2010.

1. takemore macrumors member

After reading specs I liked this multifunction printer. Checked that Canon provides drivers for Mac and bought it. Unfortunately, later I learned it works only if connected directly to Mac's USB port. When it's connected to AirPort Extreme i can see it but printing always fails. Searched Internet and it looks like this issue is in Canon drivers. I wrote to Canon about it. Next day a person called me back and told me that for this model they only support printing from laptop's USB port not from AirPort Extreme.

I wish I knew it earlier. I'd not go for this printer at all. The Canon's employee also told me about other models which has Ethernet port and should work with AirPort Extreme. But who cares when I have bought this model already.

Wondering if anyone was able to make Canon printer work via AirPort Extreme USB port. Maybe using some other drivers or some magic etc

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I can't help you with the Canon specifically, but I can tell you how I managed to make an HP P1006 Laserjet work on the AE, when it was widely reported not to work.

I did find some complicated work-arounds, but here's an easy one. It was easy because I already knew that the standard TCPIP port for JetDirect was 9100.

And I knew the AE's address (192.168.0.51).

So I connected the printer to the AE's USB port, set the printer up at the address "192.168.0.51:9100" as if it were a networked printer, and it worked properly.

If you can find a way to learn what the default TCPIP port for Canon printers is, then you might be able to do something like this.