Canon mp520 or mp610 which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Strom1, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Strom1 macrumors regular

Strom1

Anyone have any experience with either of these printers?the major difference is mp610's dpi is Color: 2400 x 9600 dpi versus the mp520 Color: 4800 x 1200 dpi is that going to make a real difference in 4x6 prints and some 8x10's.

2. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

If the price difference is not an issue just get the 610. Its hands-down the best printer for the money of any brand. Many magazines back that up.

3. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Ive got the MP520 because it was cheaper and uses 4 inks, cheaper to run. (MP610 uses 5 inks)
    the advantages of MP610 are
    -duplex printing
    -higher printing res
    -higher scanning res
    I had no need for these features , and MP520 was within my price range so i chose that.

If you have any more questions I can try to answer them :)

4. Strom1 thread starter macrumors regular

Strom1

Thanks for the help,how is the print quality in sizes 4x6 and 8x10 are they in the same league with a photo lab?and you said the MP520 was less expensive to run,how often and at approximately at how many prints are you changing inks?

5. midorix macrumors member

I've got the MP610 and loving it.

Both color, speed, and ease of use is amazing.

6. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Hmm, I have only had the printer a few days. so i cant really comment.
    I am only assuming that it will be cheaper to run (i may be wrong:p)
    As far as photo lab quality goes, it seems pretty good to me, i need to get some decent photo paper tho. It even has a big sticker on top of the printer which says Photo Lab Quality, so i guess it must be!

Theres only a few differences between the MP520 and MP610, if image quality is your primary concern go for the MP610 as it uses more ink tanks and prints higher res. I went for the MP520 primarily cos it was cheaper and still produced good quality prints.

7. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

Just because it has 4 ink tanks does not make it cheaper to run. The 610 gives you an extra dye black for photos in addition to the pigment black for text. The 520 makes black in photographs by a composite of the 3 colors. So in the end your using the same amount of ink. The 610 will just use the black cartridge when needed as opposed to the 3 colors. This will also impact photo quality as the composite is never as dark as a true black. If your printing pictures of rainbows this will never be an issue. ;)

8. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

MP610 is my printer and it's one of the best ones I have ever had.

9. minik macrumors 65816

I'm looking for a printer/scanner since my HP PSC 1350 is not Leopard friendly.

How does Canon driver under Leopard doing?

10. midorix macrumors member

11. minik macrumors 65816

I picked up the MP610 this afternoon at the local Apple Store. Compared to the previous printer and All-in-One, this one took me a while to set it up. I don't really mind that, but the build quality is superb.

I really love using Image Capture to do scanning, this is what supposed to be.

The staff at Apple Store also said good things about the MP610.