Canon MP560 Printer Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by george-brooks, Jan 9, 2012.

1. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I've been using this printer with my macs for over a year now with few issues. I just tried to set it up wirelessly using my AirPort Express and when I go into printer setup, it spits back a message that says "drivers are not available at this time, please contact the manufacturer" so I went and downloaded the drivers from Canon. Still not working. Where are drivers stored in the Library so I can manually select the software I want to use? I found a driver in Library->Printers but when I select it, it still looks for the driver online and tries to download it, so I get the same message.

HELP!!!

2. mpaquette macrumors regular

I used that same printer with 2 different MacBooks. Mine is not physically connected to my time capsule. I just went into the settings on the printer itself and joined it to the wifi network. Then on the Mac, I went into system preferences/print & scan and just clicked the + button. It automatically saw the printer and downloaded the driver from Apple. Both of my Macs are running Lion.

3. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I know how to set up a shared printer, but the Airport is conveniently located under the table I keep the printer on, so I would like to have it connected. My Macbook Air printed no problem with it hard wired, but I already had the driver installed. I am running Lion as well.

4. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

Are you saying that you want the printer physically connected to the Airport Express? If so, you are making extra work for yourself...

I have my MP560 connected to my network (Airport Extreme) via the printers built in WiFi. No physical connection to the router needed.

5. george-brooks, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Oh man, I totally forgot that the MP560 has built in wi-fi. I've never set up an air print printer before. Anyone have a link to a setup guide?

UPDATE: I joined the network on the printer but only the scanner is showing up in the add printer dialog

6. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Ok, so now I got it so that the computer will find the printer, but when I go to download the driver in "Add Printer" it is giving me the same message, that the software is unavailable. I downloaded the correct driver for Lion directly from Canon, how can I manually set the driver to that?

7. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

If it makes you feel any better - setting my Canon MP560 up under Lion made me want to cry and throw it out the window.

In the end I got it to work, but it was way harder than it should have been.

I believe I had to download multiple bits of software off the Canon website to get it to work.

ADDED: I see they added a package installer to the support site that contains the three other elements needed for installation: The ICA driver, the CUPS driver, and the Scanner driver.

Is that what you downloaded?

When I added the printer (via wifi), I had to manually select the printer type instead of it automatically detecting the software.

I can check when I get home.

Getting the scanner to work under Lion proved much harder. Under Snow Leopard, I could use the built in Image Capture tool to scan via wifi, but under Lion I could never get that to work. I have to use the Canon software now.

8. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I only downloaded one of those drivers. I will try downloading the rest. The funny thing is, in Lion it scans wirelessly using Preview no problem. That was a problem in snow leopard too with my old printer, someone told me to use preview and I've had no problems with any scanner since!

9. btbrossard, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I'll try using preview when I get home.

Thanks!

EDIT: Preview works without using the canon software - I guess I didn't know it was moved from image capture.

10. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Glad to hear it! I think preview's scanning interface is much cleaner and easier to use than most commercially available scanning software, for documents and very light duty photo tasks at least.