Canon MP640

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brentg33, Aug 30, 2012.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,
    I have an iMac and a MBP. the iMac is a late 2011 27" running 10.8.1 and the MBP is a late 2006, early 2007 running 10.7.4. I have an issue with my Canon MP640, i have it connected via wifi to my APE (i also have another APE running in bridge mode downstairs) So, i updated the printer driver to the latest off of Canon's site yesterday. So the printing portion seems ok. However, i have the scanner installed via bonjour. the problem is that it keeps dropping off. any suggestions?

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I have an MP560 connected via WiFi to an Airport Extreme.

I've never had great success getting the scanning part to work over WiFi unless I'm using the Canon software.

When I first got the printer, I had a mac with Snow Leopard and it always showed up as a scanning device in whatever software I tried (I mostly used Image Capture to scan).

After upgrading to Lion, I could occasionally get the MP560 to show up in Preview after selecting "Include Network Devices" under scanners. It worked sometimes and not others.

When it didn't work - the Canon Network Scanning utility always worked.

Now under Mountain Lion, I have had similar "it works sometimes and not others" with scanning through Preview.

I just use the Canon software when I need to scan. It works fine and does batch scanning, so that's good.

I've never had any problems printing to it or seeing it's card reader on the network.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I will try the canon apps. Though I really like image capture for scanning documents. I just don't remember having this issue before. And I have had the printer for a few years. Maybe I will see if I can find a way to connect via USB and share from my iMac. Wonder I'd that would make a difference

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

It would probably work better connected directly to your mac and then shared for scanning.

You can at least give it a try if you don't mind it connected to your mac.