Canon MX850 Network Scanning

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lanecdunaway, Jan 17, 2009.

1. lanecdunaway macrumors newbie

Okay, new multifunction. My fiance set up the network, and I can print wirelessly. No problem. He has put it in my hands to set up the scanner function. Problems. When I connect my computer by ethernet cable to the router (also connected to the MX850), everything works as it should. When I disconnect the ethernet, the scanner doesn't recognize my computer, and the computer says that the scanner is not connected. Am I wrong in thinking that the scanner should scan wirelessly? I can't find any information on this problem from anyone else. :confused:
    Thanks for any help!

2. kernelkrash macrumors newbie

scan

its not you, its a product limitation. As stated in the manual, there is no Wireless Network Scanning capability. Only printing.:eek:

3. lanecdunaway thread starter macrumors newbie

Grumble

Grumble Grumble. Thanks for the confirmation. I had just found that in the manual, and was hoping that you'd tell me differently. Thanks, though!

4. kernelkrash macrumors newbie

actually i may have been wrong, and for your sake i hope so.

try this...

connect your printer via USB cable to the computer and set up everything for wireless networks and the scanning function. apparently the computer needs the printers information which can only be retrieved via a USB hardwired connection. after all this is completed it should detect the scanning function over the network and viola! it works. theoretically of course. not 100% if this works for this model. but worth a try. good luck.:cool:

ps. you may also have to switch in the settings somewhere to search for the function as a wireless connection.

5. ashleyuv macrumors newbie

Good and Bad

First, it's not true that there is no wireless scanning, although I too ran into that difficulty at first. If you set up the printer with a LAN address, have your Mac find it, you should be able to do wireless printing AND scanning.

The problem is that I, but perhaps you can, cannot get the scanner to send the scan to my computer, unless I do it from the computer. But this means if I want to scan in a bunch of pages from a book, I have to go back and forth between the computer and scanner numerous times.

I'm wondering if there is a better program than Image Capture or Navigator MX to do this stuff. Because they suck. And half the time, Image Capture won't recognize the scanner.