Canon pixma 9500 Mark II

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pilot370, Aug 24, 2011.

1. pilot370 macrumors member

Hi,

I was looking at getting a photo only printer, i have an Epson fax/scan etc but photos aren't all that great borderline poor. I am getting into CS5 now and don't want to go and wait to use the photo machine at Meijer or CVS. Also have a newborn and would like to print off pictures when parents are over etc.

Anyone have experience with this printer? Looks like a good deal going for the printer with the $300 rebate going on, but the $120 ink replacement costs kinda hits the wallet hard! Are most printers at this level going to cost this much to replace the ink?

Any other printer only suggestions?

Thanks,
    John

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I don't have one, but right now you can get them at a nice price.

I'm chiming in because of the ink. I have the Pixma MP640 which uses 5 ink cartridges. How I save money is by purchasing from Office supply stores that give you $2-3 back when you recycle the cartridges. It normally cost me $50-60. I've gotten it down to $20-30 by watching the sales and recycling the empty cartridges.

When you start printing you will know how to conserve your ink. Also know which runs out fast.

$150 for Pixma 9000 is not a bad deal. and $250 for 9500 :cool:

3. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I had a 9500 mark 2.. be aware that it uses a LOT of ink. Every time you turn it on, it cleans the ink nozzles and wastes ink.
    It produces stunning images but be prepared to replace your cartridges a lot.

4. pilot370 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!! I think I'm going to go with the 9000 mark 2

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Kewl Make sure you sign up with all of the office stores in your area. ie Staples Office Max, Office Depot.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

I was going to get the 9500 II, but I will send out my B&W prints if need be. I ended up going with a 9000 II (for $150 shipped on eBay - BRAND NEW!) because both printers print 13x19 (no larger) and i had a 9K2 last year and I know IT PRINTS AMAZING prints.

The Genuine Canon CLI inks via eBay range from $5-$9 each shipped (depends on color) and is WAY cheaper than retail. The PGI inks for the 9500 are a bit more.

A note on printing. I found that printing the image through Canon DPP produces accurate colors, whereas trying to print from PS was off. I test my prints by printing 4x6s so I can see if the color will be right.