Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

almonde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Anyone here using a canon Pixma MG5320 wireless all-in-one printer? I just picked one up from Office Depot for $99, it has some nice features such as auto duplex printing and AirPrint support.

What ink are people putting in their Canon printers, OEM ink or compatible ink? Any good recommendations for online ink suppliers?

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Using non OEM ink has been known to create problems. They may be cheaper but remember that should problems result - i.e. blocked nozzles - use of non OEM ink invalidates the warranty.

GWIM2

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Scotland
Tried both

Original CANON ink is way too expensive, refills bought online are of variable quality ( read - rubbish ) and will cause blockages.

I've resorted to using a local company here in the UK that does refills while you wait, ensuring fresh ink and decent service.

Many new printers have chipped cartridges that cannot be reset / refilled, so you'd need to check that too. I just use the last generation of CANON printers without the chips, and tend to keep a spare printer handy.

Got an inkjet that is blocked? Have a look on E-Pay for the PRINTHEAD HOSPITAL. A small kit of cleaner, tubes, and so on that can clean nozzles in most cases.

( No commercial connection - just a good cheap product I have used )

almonde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll stick with the proper canon oem ink. If I buy from amazon, at least I can save the sales tax. I've also bought proper inkjet
paper, as well as giving better results I have a feeling that using copier grade paper in previous inkjets was clogging the print heads with paper fuzz.

Anyway I've printed some photos from my iMac and bits and pieces from my iPad and been really pleased with the results. Last time I tried a wifi printer about 3 years a go it was a piece of crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.