Canon Pixma ip4000

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by TheMacPotato, Oct 23, 2013.

1. TheMacPotato macrumors member

Has anyone tried using this printer on 10.9? Want to update my old iMac (currently on 10.6.8) but don't want a good printer to be obsolete.

2. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I have the same printer.

A fresh install of Mavericks DOESN'T support it.

I'm not sure if an upgrade would maintain the drivers from 10.8

3. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Unknown what set up you have, but.....

I have a Canon MG5420 (Airplay), set up to WiFi (My printer had my wifi passcode already installed earlier, and what I did was, I turned on my Printer first without USB cable connection > Click on "System Preferences" > Clicked on Printers & Scanners > Clicked on the + sign lower left side of next box, and it found my Canon Printer. Clicked on same, and all good with Mavericks.

Have you tried this method. Using the USB method and Mavericks may not support it yet. Sorry if it won't help

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      31.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      14.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      28.5 KB
      Views:
  4. TheMacPotato thread starter macrumors member

Thanks jdatz

I got an email back from Canon saying it is not compatible. Looking at the driver downloads on the Canon site, they stopped updating them after 10.6. Really annoying. It is a good printer that still works perfectly well. Not sure if I should risk updating and then hope that my old 10.6 driver will still work under Mavericks. I hate the way that these Manufacturers just stop updating drivers to force you to buy a new product that isn't really needed.

5. TheMacPotato thread starter macrumors member

6. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

7. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

An upgrade of 10.8 to 10.9 DOES PRESERVE the Apple/Canon driver that automatically installs itself in 10.8. Complete with options for head cleaning, test pages, etc.

8. LtlOldLady macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2016 ---
    I know I'm late with this answer, but I thought it might help someone. I have a Canon Pixma IP 4000 that I really like. I have had it for years and it is now working perfectly with iOS Yosemite. I have gone through about 4 Mac operating systems with this machine and started with it in Windows!
    I am trying to find out if it will work with El Capitan, but I am not having much luck on the Internet. In any event, it does work fine with 10.10.5.

9. LtlOldLady macrumors newbie

I am now wrestling with the notion of updrading to El Capitan and/or Sierra. I know my luck will run out one day and I still like my PIXMA IP4000, so I have stuck with Yosemite. I suspect Yosemite won't be supported one of these days.