Canon Pixma MP520-canon-brand bluetooth adapter required?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jokun, Aug 18, 2008.

1. jokun macrumors member

I'm going to be buying a new macbook, touch, and printer (maybe iphone too) within the next couple of weeks with my student discount, rebates, etc. I went to the new Apple store in Altamonte Springs, FL this weekend to check out the printers they had in stock and to see if they had the HP w/ built in wi-fi. I got a test print done on the HP they had on the display, and ugh! Print quality was horrible.

Now I'm leaning towards the Canon PIXMA MP520 and am considering buying the bluetooth adapter for it since I'll be using the printer with several bluetooth enabled laptops in the house. Does anyone know if I can use any old bluetooth adapter for the printer, or does it have to be the Canon BU-20 adapter? Also, any comments on the printer itself would be appreciated. I'm not looking for laser-quality but I need the scanner, and the HP sucked stones. I'm not really in the position to pay much more, either, unfortunately. The MP520 is $30 after the rebate.

2. WhiteNoiseMaker macrumors regular

WhiteNoiseMaker

Hi,

I've got a Canon MP610 and I can use a standard USB Bluetooth dongle in that with no problems. However its not the fastest at printing via bluetooth. If you're planning on using your printer in this way a lot, I'd recommend getting a real Wi-Fi printer or buy the Airport Express and hook it up to that.

3. jokun thread starter macrumors member

I can't have any computers plugged directly into the express, though, right? Just a usb printer?