Canon PIXMA MP520 or HP Photosmart C4385?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Burtonsnow9, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

bout to order my new macbook pro on monday and i will be taking advantage of the $99 printer rebate. but i cant decide which printer to buy. i will be using it in a college dorm situation so print quality, scan quality, and not to expensive to maintain ink are a must. will hook up using usb so any other network interface doesnt matter.

which do you guys suggest?

Canon PIXMA MP520

or,

HP Photosmart C4385?

anything else in this relative price range is also considerable.

thanks!

2. Matt Winwood macrumors newbie

My last printer purchase was an HP Photosmart All-in-One (I believe it is last years model of the one your looking at.) It's served me and my families computers great and its still running strong after 3 years of use between 3 computers. I would assume due to the name that the Canon probably prints better, but keep in mind it only prints 6x8. So you can rule out letter size prints or documents in that case.

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Canon

That is not at all true about the max size being 6X8
    IT says on the page:
    Max. document size: 8.5 x 11.7 in. print

4. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I'd go for the Canon. It does print 8.5X11, I closely studied this printer while trying to decide which Canon to go for. It's a decent printer, but if you have the money, go for the MP830. it's insanely great :) Better than my Epson, my HP, and my Brother(physiological and printer brand).

5. Burtonsnow9 thread starter macrumors regular

yea the mp830 looks real nice but its a little too expensive for me as i'm already buying the top line mbp :D but do you guys think that cannon will serve me very well and not cost me a fortune to replace ink cartridges?

6. aneftp macrumors 601

not to expensive to maintain ink are a must.

anything else in this relative price range is also considerable.

thanks![/QUOTE]

I have a Canon MP500 2 years old and it is wonderful. I used to be the biggest HP printer fan but they are so cheap with their ink (As everyone knows, selling ink is the biggest profit margin) for the printer manufacture.

Canon has excellent quality and they give you more ink per cc (ml) compared to HP.

7. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

<b>Clogged Jets?

I read somewhere on here that the Canon nozzles didn't clog as bad as the others. I have really had a problem with that on HP AND Lexmark unless they were printed with color at least weekly. Does anyone have any info on this?

8. MacGeek Pro macrumors member

I had owned 3 different HP printers over 3 years, as they all broke. Recently, after being fed up with the annual HP purchase, I did in fact get the Canon PIXMA MP520. This printer is steller. The cartridges are similarly priced to HP's, but are about twice as large, and they are clear, so you can actually see how much ink is in there.

It also has two paper feeds. Which is a nice feature.

The only thing I have had to do with this printer was to download the Mac OS X drivers from Canon's site, as Apple didn't seem to have them preloaded in the OS. But that is a minor inconvenience.

Get the Canon, it's amazing.

9. Burtonsnow9 thread starter macrumors regular

alright so i think i'm def going with cannon.

but i just found the cannon mp530 which is the same price as the mp520 so,

which one is better?

10. Burtonsnow9 thread starter macrumors regular

alright i know you guys have some more input and i'm ordering tomorrow so out of the 2 cannons right above, which is better?