Canon Pixma MP620 - poor wifi range

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vogue Harper, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

I have just set up a Canon Pixma MP620 to work wirelessly over wifi on my network. The printer works fine when it is right next to the router (a Netgear). However, when I move the printer to another room away from the router, the signal strength goes to nothing/unstable and I cannot print wirelessly. My MacBook retains full wifi signal strength in this same room so the router coverage would appear to be okay.

Is there anyone using this printer over wifi where the printer is in a different room to the access point/router? Is there something wrong with my printer?

Thank you.

2. theinstructor macrumors regular

theinstructor

If you are within the return policy period I would recommend swapping out the printer or putting the printer in a place that reduces signal degradation. You could also try re-orienting the printer in another direction or spot to try helping the signal out. Another idea would be to move the router or wireless antenna around some and see if it improves reception.

3. Vogue Harper thread starter macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

Thank you. I managed to get it all working well shortly after posting the query by putting the printer higher up on the shelf and moving it away from the wall socket - so pretty much as you suggested.