canon powershot sd400

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by djsound, Jul 29, 2008.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

Hi there i have a canon sd400 digital elph and I was just wondering if you guys can tell me how to get my movies and photos off it and onto the computer. iMac. It is hooked up via usb but I do not have any software for it. Thanks.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes you do have software for it. It you have a Mac then you have both iPhoto and Image Capture. Either will work. In Preferences you can choose which comes up when you plug in a camera.

Also Canon makes their software available for free on their web site.

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

oh ok. I looked on Canon's site but couldn't find anything and I didn't think I could use Iphoto or Image capture to get the movies off the camera that I made since they are both for photo's...

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Plug in the camera's usb port to your computer, open iphoto first, then turn on camera. Iphoto should recognize and ask for import. I've had issues using my camera turned on first and opening iphoto, it always crashes on startup since last upgrade, so start iphoto and then turn on camera.

It will definitely import movies too. I have the same camera and it works great.

5. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

grrrrrrrr...im such an idiot. I had deleted Iphoto & Image Capture awhile back..I wasnt using them. I forgot I had this camera....is there a way to install from the osx disks?

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Absolutely. Not sure what you have but there should be a disk with the app's on it.

7. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

A card reader is going to make your job a whole lot simpler.

8. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not necessary, the sd400 has a usb port. Much easier than opening it up and yanking the card each time.

10. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

But is the SD400 a usb 2.0 device? I have a canon s410 that was still a usb1, so a card reader was a good idea. I have plenty of friends that are professional photographers and they still use card readers. Many cameras are just a hassle to connect, and a card reader simplifies the process since the card always reads as a connected drive, which means no fussing with image capture.