Canon Printer Drivers - New Mac User Needs Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by turnipfarmer, May 10, 2011.

1. turnipfarmer macrumors newbie

I have just got my new 2011 21.5inch Imac at the weekend after switching from my old PC. Been reading on these forums for a while and thought its about time to sign up :D

I'm just in the process of moving stuff over from my PC to Imac and now need to set up my Canon mp140 printer.

When I have gone on their website there seems to be two drivers, the CUPS one and what appears to be the normal one for OSX.

What is CUPS and which one do I need for my Canon printer?

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Before downloading drivers from Canon, I would try plugging in the printer and adding it if needed in System Preferences > Printer and Fax.
    Then go to :apple: > Software Update and see if it downloads the latest Canon drivers. This is what works for me with a Canon MP600R, and some other printers from various brands.

However some features may be missing, in which case you might need to download the drivers and other software from Canons website.

CUPS = Common Unix Printing System, and is what OSX uses as it's print server. Don't worry about the server bit, this is the driver you should use if you do need to download one from Canon's website.

3. turnipfarmer thread starter macrumors newbie

I though about just connecting it but not sure if it will work the way it should. So just to clarify install the cups version rather than the non cups version?

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I just plugged my canon in. Thankfully OSX is awesome and did the rest :D

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Yeah, though I would highly recommend just plugging it in first and see if it works.

Then run Software update.

6. turnipfarmer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help everybody, I did just connect it and firstly I thought nothing was happening as nothing popped up on the screen, I then clicked on the printer part and there is was, took all about couple of seconds to add :)

One more question that I do have is that my printer is a combo with a scanner built in but the scanner part is not working at the moment as I think the mac drivers don't support the scan part. I have looked on the Canon website and they have the drivers for the scanner, I presume that I have to install them?