Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Canon has thus far been less than helpful. Any ideas or anyone with experience troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My MP530 has worked just fine for a few years, connected directly to my iMac via USB. Recently, I went to print a document and it would not print. There is nothing different about the set up and the display on the printer did not indicate any error message. However, when I pulled up the print status on my computer, it indicated that the printer was "offline". All drivers should be current and no software update had recently been installed that would have broken a driver.

I tried a number of different things to get it back online including pulling wires out and back in, changing USB ports on the computer and turning off and on again both the printer and my computer. Nothing worked. So, I tried using the online troubleshooting on the Canon site.

It suggested that I delete the printer from the "Printer & Fax" section of System Preferences and then try to "add" the printer back. Unfortunately, after deleting the printer from System Preferences, I plugged the printer back into the iMac - using two different USB cables - and the computer did not recognize or acknowledge the printer (which was on) as being connected.

Kindly help as this situation has suddenly left me and my home office with no way to print out anything. Thank you.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Do you have another computer to test the printer? If it works on another computer, then it's an issue with your iMac. If not, it could be the printer.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Do you have another computer to test the printer? If it works on another computer, then it's an issue with your iMac. If not, it could be the printer.

Yes, I should have added that. I did hook it up to my MBP directly via USB (the original connection was Bonjour through the iMac). The printer was not recognized by the MBP either.

I recognize that this sounds like really bad news, but I still put the question out there as the printer still turns on, the copier works, the scanner looks like it works (though it won't find the computer to save the scan) so I was wondering if it were something fixable.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Thanks to some additional troubleshooting efforts, I have now narrowed the issue to a dead/broken USB port on my printer. Before I go tot buy a new printer, does anyone have any experienced in getting a USB port replaced on their printer? I am wondering what the cost would be as my printer is not all that old. If relatively inexpensive, I would rather fix this than get a new one. Any ideas as to cost would be excellent. Thanks.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
How old is it exactly? If it's still under warranty, you'll be able to get it fixed for free (minus shipping maybe). And if not, contact Canon or some other local service centres that can repair printers for a quote.

My guess is it will not be worth it if you have to pay and might just be a nice little excuse to upgrade :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.