Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Fry's has the T3 with an 18-55mm lens for $380 currently. I'm reading mixed reviews about the camera online. Does anyone have any PERSONAL experience with said camera and care to share some information or pictures you've taken?

Thanks!!!

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Fry's has the T3 with an 18-55mm lens for $380 currently. I'm reading mixed reviews about the camera online. Does anyone have any PERSONAL experience with said camera and care to share some information or pictures you've taken?

Thanks!!!

Well, you can use the camera finder on flickr.com and look around for pictures taken with the T3. BH photo video store has the T3 new and used if you want to see that option as well.

I was tempted on buying it as my first slr but went with the T3i because I wanted video on the camera.

Another good source to see how's the camera and performance is dpreview.com and you can compare it directly to the T3i or any other camera.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Even the T2i can outperform the T3 easily.
There's a reason the T2i is a triple-digit model and the T3 a four-digit one.

ToddSD

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
I have a T3. I bought it instead of the T3i because I have no desire whatsoever to shoot video. That, and the flip out viewfinder are the main differences between the two, and I didn't feel I needed either. It's really not that bad of a camera. I find it has terrible noise at anything above ISO 400 or so. The color balance always seems a little off, even with custom white balance (which could be easier to set). I was initially very displeased with the image quality, but am much, much happier since ditching the kit lens and getting a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. There's a few things it doesn't do as far as I know, like controlling remote flashes (correct me if I'm wrong). And the AF points are a little rudimentary, I've gone to just using center point for everything and recomposing.

If you want to shoot video, or in low light, or need some more advanced features then it's not the camera for you. If you just need a good entry DSLR and can do without some of the more advanced features that I mentioned, it might be a good choice.

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Yes I've owned one for over a year now (bought mine when the T3 was about $650 and the T2i was about $720). Honestly, buying my first SLR camera (the T3) was the best decision I've made to date. If you have enough money to afford a T2i or even a T1i, go for that model instead of the T3. Why? The other Ti models give you a little more capabilities. Nevertheless, you could always buy the T3 with another lens kit.

Just remember that you don't need expensive gear to take good photos, it all depends on how you control the camera, your imagination, and even a bit on the "time and place." I've taken some pretty good shots, and a few good ones I've taken were "all of a sudden" shots. So taking good pictures just happens.

One more thing to keep in mind is that the camera body doesn't make as much as a good lens kit does. I've been told, and I agree that any photographer who knows what he or she is doing would choose an "alright" camera body and a "great" lens over a "great" camera body and an "alright" lens kit.

Good luck with your purchase.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I have the T2i. AFAIK the two models are essentially identical in terms of sensor, menus etc. They differ in the viewfinder (the T2i doesnt articulate) and video. It does seem to slant towards the red/magenta side of the spectrum which I think may be an effort to counter the cold blue cast some DSLRs seem to have.
I also agree that there can be a noise issue with video or images in low light or even medium lit situations. However I get usable shots if I can set the iris and exposure just right. That is why I bought a DSLR, to have access to more settings than a point and shoot offers!

The canon lense isnt bad at all, however I do find myself wanting a faster lense (F stopwise) and also sometimes a longer zoom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.