Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
Still pondering on my next lens. Eyeing the 17-55 f/2.8 in most likelihood. There seem to be some in stock on the Canon refurbished site for a pretty decent discount (as opposed to buying new).

Anyone here buy lenses from the Canon refurbished store? Are there any gotchas? Are these as good as new? Is there more chance of dust, or scratches, etc or are they guaranteed to be just as good as the new ones?

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Got my 17-40 and 100 macro off the refurb store a few years back . No problems , they looked and functioned like new .

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Eyeing the 17-55 f/2.8 in most likelihood.
Don't buy that lens. It's expensive and only works with small sensor cameras.
And it will be difficult for you to sell it at a good price, usually people with cheap dslrs buy cheap lenses (50mm, 18-55, 70-300, etc.)

If you think you'll buy a real camera (full-frame) in the future get a 24-70 2.8 or 24-105 (cheaper than the 2.8 one, has IS, and don't be afraid of the f4 aperture, full frame cameras have better ISO capabilities and also nicer bokeh at f4 than a aps-c camera at 2.8)

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
I find it hard to believe that only FF cameras are "REAL" cameras.
Plenty of higher end ASPCs out there, 70d, 7d, etc.

I get the point about buying EF-S lenses. But not all of us feel the need to move on to FF right away, or even in the conceivable future.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I find it hard to believe that only FF cameras are "REAL" cameras.
Plenty of higher end ASPCs out there, 70d, 7d, etc.

I get the point about buying EF-S lenses. But not all of us feel the need to move on to FF right away, or even in the conceivable future.

It's always an amusing argument. I have a 7D. And a medium format (film) camera. Does medium format mean "full frame" camera's are not "real" cameras?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you think you'll buy a real camera (full-frame) in the future get a ...

They are all "small format cameras" the so called "full" frame is still only 36mm x 24mm. "Real Cameras" have 6cm or larger frames. The 35mm format was designed for economy and portability.

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the APS-C/DX frame size and it is ideal for most users. But do plan ahead when you buy a lens. If you need to upgrade later make sure any expensive lens you buy today will work with the body you might buy down the road. But most people ail never upgrade to the 36x24 format.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
I generally caution against buying the EF-S lenses.

All EF lenses (with one, maybe two exceptions) made since 1986 work on all EOS bodies made since 1986.

EF-S lenses will only work with EF-S bodies, which is a much smaller subset.

Besides, glass is an investment, bodies are disposable. (Yes, a $1,000-$6,000 camera is disposable.)

googlydoo

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2005
17-55mm lens

If you shoot video, the 17-55 f/2.8 IS is actually a really great lens (when shooting with a crop sensor Canon). It's a convenient lens to use on a shoulder rig for general all-around shooting, with a good focal length and pretty good aperture, and Image Stabilization makes it great.

And, I've bought lenses and bodies from the refurbished store -without any issues so far. Make sure to put on a UV filter on the 17-55 - otherwise it will collect dust inside the front element fairly quickly.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
I was fortunate enough to have snagged the ƒ2.8 70-200mmL IS off of their refurbished store for an insanely cheap price, and I've had no complaints about it whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.