Canon releases 11 new products!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by maestrokev, Aug 20, 2007.

1. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

2. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Putting aside from the image quality of the lens (which I assume will be better than the current kit), does IS in an 18-55 really make much difference or sense?

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Probably not. I'd rather spend a bit more and get a lens like a Sigma 18-50 mm or Tamron 17-50 mm. You get a constant f2.8, even at the 50 mm end, and that's worth 2 stops over an 55 mm f5.6 anyway. That, and I have more control over depth of field.....and the photos will be prettier. IS wouldn't give me anything I really need.......not at 50 mm (which isn't very long).

I'm sure the photos from these 2 new lenses will be much better than the kit lens. That isn't saying much, though.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The bigger question to me is how will the 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS compare to the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS in price, image quality, and build. If it too is $200, that's going to be tempting.

5. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Also, I know this is a non-issue... but i'm not a fan of the black and silver colour scheme... especially not that silver band showing focal length. I much prefer Nikon's subtle black with gold trim, or even Canon's obnoxious white L glass.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for posting this! I am a big fan of Canon cameras and still have my 4.0 MP Digital Elph from over 3 years ago - and it still works great! Now that I see these new models though, perhaps it's time to think about upgrading... ;) :cool:

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Canon is doing live view, eh? Mmmm, interesting! Sounds like a very nice lineup.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I think The Digital Picture had the best response to that question. Granted it was for a different lens, but one of similar focal range.

Since this a similar f3.5-5.6, being able to hand hold in lower light is a large asset. It dosen't make it equal an f2.8, but it helps make up for narrower aperture.

10. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

The 40D and G9 are both pure ownage.
    RAW in a camera as nice as the G9 is awesome, and since I need a pocket camera soon, I will probably get one for Christmas.:)

The 40D, on the other hand, is probably just a pipe dream... My Rebel XTi still works fine, but the grip annoys me to no end.

11. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Yes, most definitely. I was considering getting a 17-85IS early next year, and a 70-300IS after that... but if this "combo" (18-250 w/IS) turn out to have good reviews, I may go for it instead of the most expensive option.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It does when Pentax/Samsung, Sony, and Olympus are offering IS with all of their lenses because it's part of an economical camera body. Canon are simply responding to the market.

13. maestrokev thread starter macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I thought I read that the reason why RAW was removed from the Canon G series was that there was no discernible improvement: http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-6139374-7.html

14. maestrokev thread starter macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I'd like IS on all my lenses if it doesn't add too much more to the price or bulk. This means I can use the lenses under dimmer lighting without going with a tripod or raising ISO.

15. l'homme macrumors member

also you can use tamron and sigma lenses for the budget but not the same quality;)

16. sjl macrumors 6502

sjl

Which raises an interesting question: 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS? :D A CPS guy said it wouldn't happen, because there's no point in having IS at such focal lengths, but given that it's going into the 18-55mm ...

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's unlikely because it's an L-series lens and it's unnecessary in that certain lens.

The 18-55mm is a shaky lens in more ways than one but for consumers, the draw is clear. There is IS in the upper half of the point and shoots, IS in the lower middle of the digital SLRs and since Canon and Nikon have already established in-lens IS, they must, must, must match features some way to get the attention of consumers.

Given the quality of the current lens, will the quality of the economical IS be of any use?

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wow the 40d is nice and I'm a Nikon user. I'd be tempted to see how that so-called dust free sensor does.

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That explanation doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It sounds more like Canon didn't want to admit how noisy the sensor was by making RAW available so they hid the problem behind heavy noise reduction. The idea that noise is the only difference between JPEGs and RAW is untrue, and that's the explanation the article gives.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If it does as well as the 400D, it won't do very well, from what I've read.

21. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

*yawn*

5D 5D 5D 5D 5D 5D 5D 5D 5D 5D 5D 5D 5D 5D.

22. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Thanks Canon, for rubbing salt in the wound...

I guess I'll still be taking shots with my non RAW G7...

23. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Well the new lenses incorporate a UD element, and Spectra coatings that I do not believe the previous generations have, and it sounds like they felt the sting of bad reviews on the old kit lens.

Will this change the new one?

Who knows!

24. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Wow, the 40D sounds incredible! FWIW, this is coming from a 1D user.

8.3 vs. 6.5 fps, no big deal, and even though the 1D has 45 AF points, the 40D does have a diagonal cross-type AF sensors, as well as 18 regular cross types. Live view and the 6 extra megapixels sound nice too.

All that said, I think the big selling points (for me) are the 14-bit RAW and silent mode operation, both of which should be great. Too bad they didn't include micro AF adjustment. Oh well.