Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which camera should I get?

• Canon S3-IS

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Panasonic FZ7

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I've been reading the specs and reviews and have not come to a clear conclusion over which camera will be better for my purposes (my purposes are basically taking family and vacation snapshots and taking photos of items to sell online). One feature that is very important to me is a macro mode that allows you to really focus in on small things, such as jewelry.

My fiance and I will be taking our honeymoon in the smokey mountains, and she wants to buy me a new digital camera as a present. I have always been a big fan of Canon, but the Panasonic is $100 less expensive. Any thoughts on either of these cameras?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I really dunno much about either camera (or any camera for that matter) buuuut, I am also lusting after the S3 IS.

Something to consider, the Canon S2 is very close in features as the S3 but can often be found for $100-150 less! Check out some comparisons of the two and see if the newer features of the S3 are really warranted and worth the extra money to you.

Okay, I just did one quick search and found a shorter thread in another forum for you: Best Choice/Value: S2 vs. S3?

And a review of the S2 vs a review of the S3.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I've been making the rounds looking at the same cameras. I've also got the Sony H2/5 in the group of cameras that I'm considering. I'll see if I can find it, but there was a pretty good review that someone either mentioned or I stumbled on that compared the three. I'll see if I can find it.

Also, what do you plan on using the camera for - what kinds of shots do you plan on taking/will you be using movie mode much, etc.

EDIT: That was easier than I thought...hopefully it helps you - it left me even more undecided.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I have never played with either.

I have owned both a Canon A60, and S1-IS. I currently own a Panasonic TZ1. Given my experiences with both brand's optics, the hands-down winner is Canon.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i bought an S3 last week. absolutely love it. i imagine the S2 would be just as good too. in terms of pure optics, i've been happy with the canon line.

the one feature, which may seem minor, but i love it - the ability to see the histogram before i snap pics. it's been very handy as I will move around the room until the levels look better so my pics are not too bright/dark etc.. i never would have thought to care about this aspect, but i love it now.

the macro feature is really neat. i took a gorgeous pic of a flower (i'm not a flower guy either), but it looks amazing.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/keebler_deerkiller/20060806_03.jpg

the pics has been resized smaller unfortunately, but the colours are vivid and it's really crisp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.