Canon S5 IS question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cawesjmu, Jul 23, 2008.

1. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Can anyone help me find out if, or what kind of threading is on the front of my S5 lens. I'm looking to try and connect it to a telescope and am wondering if it might have what I've heard is called "t-threading." I found all kinds of specs online, but I haven't found anything about the lens or its threading. Any astrophotographers, or lens gurus out there? Thanks.

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I believe it's a non-standard Canon bayonet mount. I used to have the S3 and bought an adapter tube for it. From what I remember, the tube was made specifically for the Canon PnS camera lines that can take add-on lenses. The adapter tube I had made it possible to screw on anything with 52mm threading. Maybe you need one of those tubes?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

3. cawesjmu thread starter macrumors 6502

i think getting something like that extender tube might be a better idea than trying to screw something into the end of the lens. Can you direct me to somewhere I can find these tubes? I appreciate your input.

Is this lens adapter that I'd need? http://estore.usa.canon.com/Specification.asp?ITEM_ID=35526
    Anybody know a place I could find one a little cheaper?

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

You can get them for about $10 on eBay. Just do a search for "canon s5 adapter tube" and you'll see a bunch of offerings. Some of the tubes will give you 52mm threading and some 58mm.

5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I got my adapter at LensmateOnline and it was perfect. You can also get a bunch of other stuff there.

6. cawesjmu thread starter macrumors 6502

7. CMD is me macrumors 6502

I'll second Lensmate. Canon makes one as well that matches better but costs more.

8. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Well, those $10 adapters on eBay do the same thing for a third of the price. I've purchased two of them: one for my A80 and then one for my S3. Each of them only cost $10 and worked as advertised.