Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
This is probably in the wrong thread but since it's a camera and not a video camcorder, I thought I'd put it here. I just have one quick question. When filming with these camera's, can you operate the optical zoom while filming or just the digital zoom?

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I know you can't use the optical zoom, but the digital zoom I'm fairly sure is operational, if not that functional. (Digital zoom just gets you a blocky lower-resolution section of the frame.)

Dave

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I know you can't use the optical zoom, but the digital zoom I'm fairly sure is operational, if not that functional. (Digital zoom just gets you a blocky lower-resolution section of the frame.)

Dave

Ah, you're probably right. I turn off the optical zoom in the Menu preferences so that I don't accidentally use it when taking normal shots.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
Thank you guys. :) The digital zoom is adjustable while filming on the SD600 but not the optical zoom. So I sold it to my dad and bought a camcorder. The camcorder is excellent but it's way too hard to operate. I was hoping the SD800 was better at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.