Canon SD780IS, Sony W290, or Panasonic DMC-FX500K?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamvk, Jun 23, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So, I'm looking at all 3 of these cameras very seriously, and I still can't decide which one to get. I was set on the Canon, but I've seen a few professional reviews that aren't too fond of it. The other too also seem very nice though.

So which would you go with? Also please let me know if you have one of these cameras and let me know if you'd recommend it, and what you like/dislike about each one.

Thanks. I'm posting two links to each camera: The manufacturer website, and an Imaging Resource site, a site that reviews cameras that I really trust.

Canon SD 780 IS:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=18183

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD780IS/SD780ISA.HTM

Sony W290:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665775624

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W290/W290A.HTM

Panasonic DMC-FX500

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...as/model.DMC-FX500S_11002_7000000000000005702

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FX500/FX500A.HTM

edit: Sorry, can a MOD add a poll? I Forgot to do that. Just say Which is the best? with answers Canon, Panasonic, and Sony.

2. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

I'm assuming that you're going to shoot family pictures/videos with this camera...

I love Canon Point&Shoots. But 780 does not have a wide angle lens. Wide angle will help a lot in family photos.

I'd go with Sony if you want tho choose only from those 3. I have a weird feeling about Panasonic. Never found their products easy enough to use.

Or go with SD880 IS
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...&fcategoryid=145&modelid=17626#ModelDetailAct

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I spend a while in the best buy near me comparing the sony and canon ones. The canon one uses SD cards, and had nice firmware, but small controls. The sony had nicer controls, but uses a Sony memory stick Duo.

The Panasonic has manual aperture, but I haven't ever held it.

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ya the 880 does look nice, but I really want HD Video from my next P&S camera.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm on my camera upgrade kick as well, and I just spent the last hour or two looking at the differences, and what I concluded was that

1) For the amount that I don't use a camera, the SD780 is the best Canon camera for me.

2) I don't want to get sucked into using a Sony memory card format. Everything I own is SD, no need to change formats, especially when (I heard) that Sony is/will be moving to open standards

3) I never heard of a Panasonic P&S before. I know their video cameras are 2nd to none, but just because everyone says canon and no one says panasonic, I'll take the canon over the panasonic, even if the panasonic has more manual settings.

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

The Canons' images can be grainy though and its also not that good in dark apparently.

So I'm starting to lean more towards the Sony, the Memory Stick Pro thing doesn't bother me that much since they aren't that more expensive.

7. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

8. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well today I went to Best buy, and the Sony and Canon were right next to each other. I'm now 100% SOLD on the Sony one. It looks much better, the larger screen is very nice, the controls are easy to use, good program mode and it has some cool effects/editing modes.

The Canon: Well its a little hard to use. I have big hands and I didn't realize how small it was until I started using it. Although having that view finder would be nice, the screen is small, and I feel that the Sony has superior image quality.

9. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Seems like no one has any experience with the Panasonic camera. I do not know much about this camera, but I am on my second Panasonic Lumix, and I love this one better than the first one I owned. I'd check it out in person if I could...

I too do not like the Sony. Don't like getting hooked with their Memory Stick deal. A friend of mine had a similar Sony P&S, almost brand new, and it died when he was in Italy and could not be fixed!

I have smaller hands, but found the Canon a little hard to use also.

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I just bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5. 9.1 megapixel, 10X optical zoom, HD video, 3" (non-touch) screen. The deciding factors were the 10X zoom, the pocketable size and the price: $199 at Sam's included a 2GB SD card, a second battery and a leather case. I haven't tried the HD video, but it does take very nice pictures, and the digital zoom goes to 40X.

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I still think I'm gonna go with the Sony. I like how its smaller, and it looks a LOT nicer.

12. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I bought the Sony W290...I love it so far, it has amazing Macro, and a lot of other nice features. I'm not very impressed with the HD Movies though, the color seems off.

Besides that, Great Camera, and it looks very nice. Thanks for the advice on it :)

Heres a few samples.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. I3roknI3ottle macrumors member

I was in the same boat about 2 weeks ago, it was between the canon sd780 / sd880 and the sony you listed. I ended up going with the SD880 and couldn't be happier. I really liked the sony but the fact that sony just can't stick to a memory stick standard really bugs me.

14. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

15. morfeas-dsl- macrumors member

morfeas-dsl-

i bought a canon ixus 100 is after a lot of search and i am really happy.it couldnt be smaller and better. too bad you bought the sony but take good use of it anyway