Canon SLR Bodies

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by brian82788, Feb 22, 2012.

1. brian82788 macrumors member

Hello,

Sorry if this post is misplaced or a duplicate; but I need help from people that know the SLR business. I'm a college student looking to purchase a Canon DSLR on a budget. My dream camera is a 7D but this is much too expensive at the moment and I believe it might be a bit above my level at the moment. Right now I'm seeing many 40d's and 50d's on craigslist and ebay and they are sometimes tempting. I am also considering Rebel T2i because it has many more features and 18mp; although I have read many times that more pixels means only a larger picture and not necessarily a better one. But the video capture is also very tempting. Is the 50d a significantly better camera than the T2i; if so, why? Will it really matter as long as I have a good lens. Again this is just a 2 year camera with which I can buy into the Canon ecosystem until I can buy a more advanced camera. Feel free to give me advice or ask questions.

Thanks,

Brian

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Equipment does not automatically translate into better photos, which you seem to suggest. A 40D or 50D will suit your needs perfectly fine.

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I think you've summarized things very well. All the bodies you've listed are capable of producing quality images. The key difference between the 50D and the Rebels is the added ergonomics of the rear wheel on the 50D... But you really should play with both first to see what feels better in your hands and is easiest for you to manipulate. As you say, don't base your decision on mega pixels or features you may never use.

I don't see where he was implying that at all?! In fact, he aptly points out a couple of common misconceptions, indicating quite the opposite. :confused:

4. brian82788 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks VirtualRain. So ergonomically I think think the 50d feels a bit better in my hands and I love the high fps. At the moment I'm shooting a lot of action (ultimate frisbee and sailing) and this is where my sony cybershot is limiting me. Although the video feature of the rebel is also very appealing. I've shot a bit of video on a friends 7D and was very satisfied with it. I'm sure there are differences in video capabilities between the 7D and the rebel, but I can't find any on paper. Does anyone have experience with these different cameras?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Some evidence:

A 7D will not make any difference if the subjects are boring or unimaginative. The difference between a 50D and a T2i is negligible if this is for amateur use (besides the video feature). A good lens does not make up for crappy pictures to begin with.

Go with the cheapest body you can find.

6. Bear macrumors G3

I am not that familiar with Canon cameras (I use Nikon myself) however, this is one of the most important pieces of advice when buying a camera, whether D-SLR or pocket digital or movie camera. If it's not comfortable to hold or use, it makes the job of taking pictures more difficult.

As for megapixels. In truth unless you're doing billboards you don't need more than 6 to 10 MP. I have some very nice 20 inch by 30 inch enlargements done from a 6 megapixel image.

The photographer is more important than the exact camera model when it comes to good pictures. The important thing is what the camera has for features and what features it may be missing that you want or need.

7. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

I currently have a 7D ... and an old 20D. I'm not familar with the Rebels, but for your application where you're shooting action, I'd look into the autofocus systems of each of the cameras you're considering, to see which ones are 'fast' and which ones leave something to be desired ... in my case, going from the 20D to the 7D was a very noticable step up in getting a good focus on action subjects.

Another thing to consider is that the CanonRumors had a report just yesterday that suggests that the new Canon Rebel T4i is probably going to be released in the next two weeks (current speculation is ~2 March). So even if you decide on something else, the release of a new model might help make the prices of the current Rebel soften a little bit.

-hh

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Get the T2i (or wait and see what Canon releases in the next fortnight).

The T2i has the exact same sensor as the 7D and should be capable of the same quality results. It also has excellent quality HD video, including a 'double cranked' 60/50fps mode. I have one, and they're great cameras.

The 40D and 50D are from the next model range up... but they're both prior generation technology and sensors compared to the T2i. Both are lower resolution and don't support video. I wouldn't buy either.

The advantages you get by going from the x00D -> x0D -> D series are an improvement in viewfinder, improved (metal) body construction, improved AF and improved frames per second... but (outside of the 5DII) these cameras all have the same sensor and therefore same basic photographic quality.

Personally I have a 5DII, and a T2i (550D). The T2i/550D is great, and I use it all the time... it's definitely 'enough camera' for most purposes, and there's lots of occasions where I prefer the smaller size and weight.

9. mariocapo macrumors member

Again, nowhere in there is he implying the camera is gonna make him a better photographer. He just wants the best camera for his money. A person can have a dream camera and still not solely rely on the equipment he uses to provide quality photographs. To the OP.. I'd wait the two weeks if you can to see what they announce, but any of the cameras you're considering will be more that capable. What's your overall budget? You still gotta have room for some decent glass.

10. brian82788 thread starter macrumors member

I want to thank everyone for your advice. I will certainly wait two weeks and see what Canon announces. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Rebel because of video. And mariocapo is right, I do not think this, or any camera will make me an amazing photographer or enhance my subjects. But at the moment, my subjects are absolutely awesome as I'm going to many large Ultimate frisbee events (if that's not your thing then ok) and feel much more limited by my camera's ability than my ability as a photographer. Also, I am looking for a camera that will teach me many things and help me develop as a photographer, this is why I am choosing a DSLR. I feel much more informed and prepared to make this decision and I want to thank everyone again for all of your help.

11. mariocapo macrumors member

That's awesome Brian. I wish you the best with whatever you choose. I have always been into photography, but when I adopted my puppy, I really wanted to get better quality pics of her. At the time an XSi/450D seemed absurdly expensive to me. But it was a few years old and I got a decent deal online. Then recently, I jumped to a 5D Mk II, and it blew me away. I love having a professional grade full frame camera and finally some quality glass. It might not have made me a better photographer than I already was, but at least I can't say I am limited by my equipment. I learned the basics and improved from the Rebel, and then upgraded when I understood more about photography. Long story short... Either way, no matter what you choose, you'll be happy just to have full control of your photographs. Anything is gonna be a huge improvement over your old point and shoot. So enjoy and if you stick with it, you'll probably wind up spending a lot more money in the future. Photography is an expensive hobby, you don't need to spend a lot to get into it, but you find yourself adding to your equipment little by little. A filter here, a tripod there, speedlight, shutter release, sling, etc. At least that's how it was for me. lol.

12. WRP macrumors 6502a

13. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Visit a camera shop and try these things out first. Get the one that feels most comfortable to you, use it until it feels natural.

Here is a link to a discussion on cameras in Germany It might be a bit dated, but hopefully it will give you a start. I handled Canon, Nikon and Pentax before my XSi purchase.

Dale