Canon SLR/DSLR compatibility

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by allisonv7, Nov 2, 2009.

1. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Hi folks,

I have a Canon Rebel that I got around 2001 and I'm thinking about getting a Canon DSLR as I'm starting to dabble in photography again. I have a couple lenses with the film camera, a Tamron 100-300mm and a Canon 40-80mm(I think) and was wondering if they would be compatible if I purchased a Canon DSLR kit.

If not, I may look at getting a Nikon, just seems silly to get the Nikon though if I already have a couple Canon lenses.

Thanks,

Allison.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Probably. You need to check your lenses, if they are EF series lenses, then they will work on Canon DSLRs.

3. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yes, if they fit the old film Rebel, they'll work on any modern Canon DSLR.

4. jampat macrumors 6502a

As others have said above, they will fit. If the one lens is a 35-80, seriously consider getting the kit lens on the DSLR.

First of all, the Canon 35-80 is not a great lens, secondly that focal length range on a DSLR is really lacking on the wide end. Remember, most Canon DSLR's are 1.6x, so your 35-80 will behave like a 56-128 on your existing body. The kit lens is ~$100 and gives you 27-88 equivalent (so closer to what you are used to). If the budget is a little higher, you could look at something like the 17-85 IS and you can ditch the 35-80 altogether. Buy used and sell it if you don't like it.

One sample of peoples comments on the 35-80.
    http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00JYPX

The 100-300 seems decent (not amazing), but it can capture some keepers.

Have fun.