Canon software?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jplg842, Oct 3, 2008.

1. jplg842 macrumors regular

Hey everyone
    im getting Canon Rebel XSi today. i was wondering if i should install its software, that comes with the camera?
    or there is really no need.

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Depends on what you have already and if you want to use the Canon raw converter (though zoom browser is a pile of crap).

3. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

My wife and I now have 3 cannon cameras only once did I install their software. Most of it is not very good. It is meant for some one that has absolutely no photo imaging software. Both iPhoto and and Aperture 2.0 even Apple's image capture, should have no problem with the raw output from your Rebel XSi. which I believe is .cr2 raw

For great photo editing for both raw and .jpeg, just use iphoto. Until you can get aperture or photoshop elements. Photoshop elements is pretty sweet for 79 to 99 bucks.

4. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

From what I read is that the only good part of the software pack is the live view software. You can hook up your computer to the camera and see what the camera sees, then you can capture remotely.

5. Marky macrumors regular

I bought the XSi (450d) earlier this week (Tuesday) :)

I did install Canon's software, but will almost certainly end up removing it as
    I haven't needed to use it. Aperture handles things perfectly well.

Marky

6. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

That's true. Also, one can use the software to erase the card in the camera, or to load photos from the computer to the card among a few other things, which includes mapping and erasing dust marks (from the sensor) on the photos. I haven't used this feature, but it's there.

7. irishfiregirrl macrumors newbie

irishfiregirrl

don't waste your time...

I have never used software Nikon or Canon software through the years with work. Previous posters are correct with iPhoto (or better yet Adobe photo Shop). I format my card inside my camera after unloading images through a disk reader. Allegedly the cards last longer...

8. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

If they still include the pano stitching tools, then I'd install that. It seemed to work for me in the past..

9. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Yes, it works fine. I installed on my Mac, and so EOS Utility.

10. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

11. tonie macrumors 6502

12. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

The only software I installed was PhotoStitch for merging images. iPhoto and Photoshop pretty much handle the rest.

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What you choose to install and use depends alot on your photographic knowledge but ultimately it depends on your shooting style, pre-processing desires and workflow. Different users will have different needs, that's why there are many options available.