Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Personally, I'm sitting this upgrade round out. I can hold out another year for a better video device, so I'm hoping the next Rebel or the successor to the 50D has better video specs. I'm looking for at least 1080/24p,30p in AVCHD and stereo mic (with a mic port).

Yea same here.
Like I said I just recently got the XS. It will hold me over til the next updates.. Im in no hurry.

adenauer

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
Canon T1i seems brilliant

With the EOS Rebel T1i, analog to digital signal conversion is executed by a 14-bit processor, which generates digital data with incredibly smooth tones. A feature that originally appeared in top-of-the-line pro digital SLR cameras, the 14-bit conversion gives incredibly smooth transitions from light to dark colors with far less risk of "banding." A sky at sunset is a perfect example. With this rich 14-bit gradation, the EOS Rebel T1i offers RAW images of the highest quality that can be processed with Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software. Even JPEG files, which are always finished at 8-bits per channel, use the full 14-bit conversion initially to generate the best possible color and tonal detail.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
omgosh.. maybe i'll stop saving for my Canon 40D and just buy this one LOL

Well, all depends on the following: the T1 is in the Rebel X-series, except that it has a video feature. The 40D is within another series of cameras. It's larger, heavier, has an alloy body, and you have control of the camera and all its settings at your fingertips.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Darn, can't we just let the video function in a dSLR stay as a add-on w/ auto function rather then wanting a full manual control, this is just a feature for dSLR people and the last I check, dSLR is for taking photos not recording videos. :p

Also, can't we get the manufacturers to put a stop focusing at dSLR w/ video function? I'm more interested to see advancement in AF system and sensor technology, hoping to see better high ISO performance. :rolleyes:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Darn, can't we just let the video function in a dSLR stay as a add-on w/ auto function rather then wanting a full manual control, this is just a feature for dSLR people and the last I check, dSLR is for taking photos not recording videos. :p

Also, can't we get the manufacturers to put a stop focusing at dSLR w/ video function? I'm more interested to see advancement in AF system and sensor technology, hoping to see better high ISO performance. :rolleyes:

Nikon and Canon are making a lot of money from entry-level cameras, and it seems that a lot of the consumers are hungry for bell and whistles such as video. We can see that on cell phones, too:D

I don't need options for movie clips and such from a camera I use to take still photos, since I can record long and high quality movies with a camcorder that is capable of stereo sound. As my kids have grown up and moved out, I don't have any use for video. In fact I still have a HI8 Nikon camcorder that I used to film my family and friends. I do have to transfer the videos to DVD one of these days :)

Other than that, those who want video options on their cameras, and enjoy motorcycles, would probably enjoy this video taken with a Canon 5D II. This is a wild ride:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtF1HtBRB60&fmt=18

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Dealing with both video and still cameras at the same time is a hassle. It's good that they are putting video in DSRLs, but they still need autofocus, like in the GH1.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well lets hope once they implement auto focus in dSLR w/ video it will put most people to quiet mode and not asking for full manual. . .

jake.f

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
NSW, Australia
I already knew about this and i really want one. I dont have a DSLR but i think this would be a perfect start because of the immense range of canon accessories. The price for the body, a Canon 18-55 mm IS Lens and a Canon 55-250mm IS lens in australia is $1729 which is unfortunately a bit expensive. And with the video feature, i think it would be extremely useful for those rare times when something must be documented with video. The fact it is 20fps at 1080p is annoying but it is 30fps at 720p which is still a great resolution. Also being 15.1 MP means it is separate in image size to the compact camera class. Also the 55-250mm lens would easily be turned into a 500mm equivalent with a canon 2x teleconverter which would be good because conon telephoto lenses are a bit pricey.

Honestly though if i can get enough money of some relatives then im sure as hell buying this.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I already knew about this and i really want one. I dont have a DSLR but i think this would be a perfect start because of the immense range of canon accessories. The price for the body, a Canon 18-55 mm IS Lens and a Canon 55-250mm IS lens in australia is $1729 which is unfortunately a bit expensive. And with the video feature, i think it would be extremely useful for those rare times when something must be documented with video. The fact it is 20fps at 1080p is annoying but it is 30fps at 720p which is still a great resolution. Also being 15.1 MP means it is separate in image size to the compact camera class. Also the 55-250mm lens would easily be turned into a 500mm equivalent with a canon 2x teleconverter which would be good because conon telephoto lenses are a bit pricey.

Honestly though if i can get enough money of some relatives then im sure as hell buying this.
I'm not quite sure if the kit lens/55-250 will resolve adequately to cover the resolution-hungry sensor, but that's the price you pay with such high resolution.

Also, I wouldn't count on that teleconverter plan, since I'm fairly sure it won't work with EF-S lenses...

jake.f

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
NSW, Australia
I'm not quite sure if the kit lens/55-250 will resolve adequately to cover the resolution-hungry sensor, but that's the price you pay with such high resolution.

Also, I wouldn't count on that teleconverter plan, since I'm fairly sure it won't work with EF-S lenses...

Yeh im not sure about the teleconverter really as ive heard mixed reviews. And what do you mean about the lens??

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
this looks like an awesome camera for someone getting started! I might get one to try out some of the video features, not as good as the 5d mark 2 but great price point.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Yeh im not sure about the teleconverter really as ive heard mixed reviews. And what do you mean about the lens??
It's not really the matter of mixed reviews, it's just functionality.

As for the lenses, it's basically this: because the sensor has such high-resolution, it needs detail to fill in all of those pixels. If the lenses it's paired with can't adequately capture enough detail to satisfy what the sensor wants, the image will be less-than-optimal.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Even if he has teleconverter, the 55-250 wont work cause its aperture will be slower then f/5.6. Furthermore of course the 500mm range sounds amazing, but the image quality degradation by a zoom lens will be terrible. There is a reason why telephoto lens are expensive and why people invested on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.