Canon T2i stolen

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by '73-B, Jun 15, 2011.

1. '73-B macrumors regular

My T2i went missing (read stolen) from a hotel lobby Saturday night. We had just returned from my brother's wedding, I placed it on a table next to a group from the wedding party, and after chatting with some folks I discovered it was gone. Nobody from the wedding saw it or has possesion of it, the hotel hasn't found it either.

Not only did I have a Canon 15-85 lens and a flash on it, it also had hundreds of pictures from the wedding and rehearsal dinner. I'm really kicking myself for setting it down; I suppose in my slightly inebriated state I assumed I was in a safe environment and thus didn't keep it strapped to my back. I filed a police report and submitted a lost entry at camerafound dot com and submitted the serial number at stolencamerafinder. My question is whether folks have any other suggestions on tracking it down. I know realistically it is a long shot, but there is no harm in trying I suppose.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Other than the police report you can't really do much. File an insurance claim and you might be able to get a replacement.

3. '73-B thread starter macrumors regular

I filed a claim yesterday and it looks like I get replacement value less a $500 deductible, which for over $1700 in equipment is still a good chunk of change. That's great, but I really want the SD card with the pictures on it (not likely to turn up, I know).

4. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

if you filed it with your home owners, check with your agent how much this will increase your premium. For around $1k claim, it might not be worth filing the claim in the long run. Also check to see if they pro-rate the cost of the equipment in the claim they pay.

Canon also has a program where they will buy back any old canon camera (nonworking $10 off ebay) and give you a discount on a refurbed T2i.

A better claim to file would have been Iphone, macbook pro 17, and camera got stolen. :D :D

que the honesty patrol ....

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

After reading a few too many similar horror stories, I went out and bought a label maker and labeled every single piece of my gear with my email address. Just in case. I also labeled my credit cards and license!

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Actually, there is something you can do. When the camera takes photos, there is some unique information in the EXIF data. There is a site that let you upload a photo and if any other photo taken with the same camera is uploaded to the internet, it will tell you. I'm not sure if this works with a T2i, but it's worth a try. Site: http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/

Edit: Just tried it with my camera. It does indeed work with a T2i

7. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

Cool, but personally I think it will cause more heartache. Might be impossible to trace the new owner, who probably did not even know the camera was stolen (say if they purchased it from eBay or Craigslist etc). Not worth getting worked up over somebody else now using your camera. Sometimes it better to move on, put it to a learning experience, and let the bitter feelings go to Karma.

8. '73-B thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up on both counts - it's a personal property policy as the owner's association carries the home owner's policy. I'm not sure if that matters, but I will check with my agent. I remember hearing about the trade in policy, but had completely forgotten. I have an old canon 35mm that I could use for the trade in.

9. '73-B thread starter macrumors regular

That's really not a bad idea. We label everything for our son, why not for me too.

Thanks - I tried this to no avail, but it has only been a few days. They also have an option to enter the serial number and if they get a hit at some point in the future they will email you.