Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjsdaname

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
cedar rapids IA
I will be getting a DSLR soon and have narrowed it down to these two. I will be shooting car racing, motocross racing and other motorsports which on is better for this?

thanks.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
I will be getting a DSLR soon and have narrowed it down to these two. I will be shooting car racing, motocross racing and other motorsports which on is better for this?

thanks.

Nikon's AF tends to be slower but more accurate (and can track from any AF point). Canon's AF tends to be faster but less accurate (and can only track from the center AF point). Image quality likely won't be too different between the two, so I'd be more concerned about which AF style works better for you.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Do you have a camera store nearby? Nobody on the internet, nor reading any amount of reviews, can narrow it down beyond that for you. Both cameras have very different button layouts, and some people like one more than the other. The only way to tell for you is to try both of them in a store, and see which is more comfortable and natural feeling. I prefer the Canons, but some people prefer Nikons. Beyond that they've very similar, so the best way to tell is to just try them both.

Nikon's AF tends to be slower but more accurate (and can track from any AF point). Canon's AF tends to be faster but less accurate (and can only track from the center AF point). Image quality likely won't be too different between the two, so I'd be more concerned about which AF style works better for you.

That's for the higher end cameras though. For the D3100 vs T3, both autofocus systems are relatively slow, and about the same accuracy.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I will be getting a DSLR soon and have narrowed it down to these two. I will be shooting car racing, motocross racing and other motorsports which on is better for this? .

If you are shooting auto racing you will likely be going for a good size lens. The cost of the lens is such that it will be the major part of the system. I'd choose the brand based on who has the best auto-racing lens.

At least I hope you are not planning to use the 18-55mm kit lens

If yuo can get up close to the track you might be able to use an 80/200 f/2.8 lens. Many people buy Nikon because Nikon's version of this lens is a great value and there are good used version of this Nikon lens available for $700 and I've seen even less.

So think ahead also to you next lens and look at the total system in your bag.

----------

... Both cameras have very different button layouts,.

If you pick Canon, then you wil also buy a large very expensive canon lens as is required for racing photography. Then some day you will upgrade the body of course it will need to be a Canon body.

So, don't make the dision on something as triveal as the location of a button on the first SLR body because yu are also deciding which brand next new few DSLR bodies will be. Look at the entire LINE on bodies and see if you line the the general layout of Canons or the general layout of Nikons Lok at the way each builds things.

In general what you find is the Nikon is much more conservative and sticks to what has worked while Canon is quick to jump on new technologies and ideas. One way is not best. Nikon's user interface, I think is more refined and I like Nikon's light metering best and maybe their flash system's metering too. But Canon, if you look at their lineup over the years looks best on some spec sheets. Again look at the lineup over the years NOT is one specific DSLR body, step back see big picture.

You are picking a brand yu will have to live with perhaps for 10 or more years. Switching brands is expensive most people don't do it.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
So, don't make the dision on something as triveal as the location of a button on the first SLR body because yu are also deciding which brand next new few DSLR bodies will be. Look at the entire LINE on bodies and see if you line the the general layout of Canons or the general layout of Nikons Lok at the way each builds things.

In general what you find is the Nikon is much more conservative and sticks to what has worked while Canon is quick to jump on new technologies and ideas. One way is not best. Nikon's user interface, I think is more refined and I like Nikon's light metering best and maybe their flash system's metering too. But Canon, if you look at their lineup over the years looks best on some spec sheets. Again look at the lineup over the years NOT is one specific DSLR body, step back see big picture.

You are picking a brand yu will have to live with perhaps for 10 or more years. Switching brands is expensive most people don't do it.

While yeah, there's that, it's not as easy to decide now. By the time I upgrade my camera, it will probably be to a 5D Mark IV or III, neither of which are out yet. I can't really decide between a 5D Mark IV and D900 because they don't yet exist.

Also, I'm not talking about a missing/moved button. The Canon vs Nikon button layouts are completely different, almost every button between the D3100 and T3 are in a different place. So while they're similar spec-wise, they're very different in actual functionality.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
That's for the higher end cameras though. For the D3100 vs T3, both autofocus systems are relatively slow, and about the same accuracy.

Not really; it's just as applicable. The T3's system is the same as the 60D's (except it only has a single cross-type). The D3100's system comes from the D90, which was and still is an extremely competent system.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
My advice is to go with the Canon.
My brother and I went DSLR shopping earlier this month and he decided on the T3 while I went with the D3100.

From my usage of both, the Nikon D3100 definitely is built better. More quality materials and feels more solid. Canon T3 is more plastic but lighter.

For images, the difference wasn't much. The Nikon interface is easier to use and more convenient.

What it comes down to is the lens. First of all, the T3 costs cheaper so you'll save more money for your LENS collection. That said Canon lenses cost a hell lot cheaper than the Nikon ones.

For example - first lens you'll want to buy is the 50mm f1.8 prime lens. It will cost $120 for the Canon while it will cost $220 for the Nikon.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
While yeah, there's that, it's not as easy to decide now. By the time I upgrade my camera, it will probably be to a 5D Mark IV or III, neither of which are out yet. I can't really decide between a 5D Mark IV and D900 because they don't yet exist.

Yes that is exactly true. That is what makes it hard. You have to look at the current models and some older ones and try and predict which non-exitant camera you might want later. Usually this is not hard as VERY quickly you will now which brand you like.

Look at a few Nikons and a few Canons and you'll just line one LINE better. You are choosing a line not a body.

One other thing. Now with your first SLR body you have to buy whatever is currently available. But next time you can wait until one is released that you really like. and also you willk a lot more next time. Only this first SLR is so hard to buy

----------

For example - first lens you'll want to buy is the 50mm f1.8 prime lens. It will cost $120 for the Canon while it will cost $220 for the Nikon.

Good point BUT,... The OP is buying an SLR specifically for shooting car racing. I really doubt a 50mm will be his first lens.

He is going to have a good case a striker shock when it starts lens shopping and asking around what he needs.

But you are right you need a lens or two. Maybe you look at 50MM lenses and maybe you see why the Nikon costs more, stainless steel vs. plastic mount? Exotic glass, spheric element? I don't now. I have a few 50mm f/1.4 lenses. The older manual focus Nikons were tank-like, zero plastic solid brass and glass.and they still mount to the new DSLR. My macro lens was made in 1964. As I said people tend to keep lenses and update bodies

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Good point BUT,... The OP is buying an SLR specifically for shooting car racing. I really doubt a 50mm will be his first lens.

He is going to have a good case a striker shock when it starts lens shopping and asking around what he needs.

But you are right you need a lens or two. Maybe you look at 50MM lenses and maybe you see why the Nikon costs more, stainless steel vs. plastic mount? Exotic glass, spheric element? I don't now. I have a few 50mm f/1.4 lenses. The older manual focus Nikons were tank-like, zero plastic solid brass and glass.and they still mount to the new DSLR. My macro lens was made in 1964. As I said people tend to keep lenses and update bodies

For that, Canon is probably better. The EF 70-200mm f/4L is only $600, while Nikon only has the f/2.8, for a much larger sum. Nikon has a better range of cheap shorter primes, but when you go for a telephoto, I think Canon's lineup is slightly better now

tjsdaname

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
cedar rapids IA
I went to bestbuy yesterday to check out these two cameras, I am going with the Canon t3. it's more comfortable in hand to me, and it seems like it auto focuses double as fast...

I will be getting the camera with the kit lens and a 75-300mm when I end up getting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.