Canon VIXIA and my Mac :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by helios16v, Jan 17, 2012.

1. helios16v macrumors regular

I just bought a Canon VIXIA HF R200 with two 64GB SDXC cards, I needed to format the cards to ExFAT for them to work with this camcorder. After making some test shots and playing around with the settings I was trying to upload the videos. seemed simple enough until.. nothing comes up in iMovie, I tried just mounting it as a drive and it's a big jumble of files on the cards. I finally found the videos in the forest of folders only to find them all in .MTS format which as you can guess, doesn't work with the standard mac programs.

The whole reason I bought this camera is because on the futureshop site it said Mac Compatible so I could stop converting the Videos from my old Sony SR85 but here I am at my only solution which involves converting all of the .MTS files to something a little more Mac friendly.. Any idea's to what programs I could use for this camera that can properly upload these videos files?

I know that the .MTS files aren't processed yet because this camera does separate colour and audio processing so when uploading it needs to all be combined into a file.

The only helpful point I found on the Canon site was to use Image Browser to upload the videos however they only supply a link to an update file to update your current version of Image Browser which they do not supply you with a CD in the box nor a link on where to find a download file.

I don't know what to do here cause I love the camera but it's even harder to use on my Mac then my old Sony which is why I bought this new one, it was suppose to be easier lol.

2. helios16v thread starter macrumors regular

After a few more hours of researching I found some very helpful information at this website.
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mo...owto-using-mts-m2ts-files-fcp-fce-imovie.html

There was a portion right in the first few sentences that states that if you want to back up a master of your footage then to copy the "Privet" folder from the cards which is where I selected to upload from on iMovie and the videos uploaded fine as iMovie then found the proper formats and transcoded them together for me.

My videos are of much better quality now that I figured this out, I hope this helps anyone else having the same problem I was.