Canon VIXIA HF S20 import help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Pwpw, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Pwpw macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a Canon HF S20. The interface software that came with it is Windows. What the best option to get my camcorder to 'talk' to my Mac?

Do I need to download the Canon interface software or order it?

I have FC Express and the newest imovie.

Am thinking of getting Adobe Premiere package 5.5

Thanks for the help.

Pwpw

2. AngryRedTicTac macrumors regular

The Vixia is straight plug and play camera. Open iMovie, and tell it to import footage, select the Canon and you are off and running. You can always grab the .mts files out of the Stream folder on your desktop, but without something like Voltaic you'll have trouble doing anything with them that way...

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

in Final Cut express, you should be able to do a Log and transfer by plugging in your camera with the USB cable and your clips should come up. You then would have to select which clips you want to transcode. (Final Cut doesn't support AVCHD hence the need to transcode the files into pro res)

4. Pwpw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I think I need to update to a newer imovie for the plug/play to work.
    I'll give that a try.
    Will either method of import diminish the HD quality?

I'm not well versed in the different types of digital file associated with video. Is there a good resource-website or otherwise-that would walk me through the basics?

Thanks again.
    Pwpw
    :apple:

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a