Canon vs. Sony?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Liebo11, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Liebo11 macrumors member

So based on most of the things I read on here everyone really likes the Canon's over the Sony's . . . But it seems weird that why would i get an elura 100 that is only 20x zoom when i can get the new sony that is 40x zoom and has the night shot and better lighting supposedly?

2. Liebo11 thread starter macrumors member

great . . . thank you all for you invaluable advice i really appreciate it!

3. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

Missed the whole debate thing... As a random side note...

I had a Canon, it got stolen, replaced it with Sony because the specs seemed better, and well... I'm never doing that mistake again...

With Canon even a monkey could take good pictures, I still haven't had that luck with my Sony camera. But hurrah... it has a helluva zoom...

4. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

My thoughts on this....

For me, it's quality over quantity and hardly weird. I'll take Canon lenses and thier image processors over Sony's any day. Those 40x & 20x zooms are digital trickery, btw. After a certain point, that image is going to look terrible, as your digitally zooming in on the image. If you were to go to the store and try either the 20x or a 40x zoom, I think you'd quickly find the image quality on both is so terrible, you'll never want to use it anyway.

Many moons ago, when I was deciding between the two for a consumer cameras, I did a little investigation as to how each achieved stabilization, zoom, etc. Canon leaned toward doing things optically, while Sony, I found, leaned toward letting the elctroincis to the heavy lifting. I don't know if this is still the case, but Sony's "image stabilzation" was achieved at the loss of resolution. They'd over scan your capture so it could have room to steady-out the image. Canon would handle this with lens design, allowing lesnes move slightly to compensate for your shaky hand.

This look under the hood steared me away from Sony. I highly suggest you go to one of those electronics super-stores and test out each.

Canon also continually wins the "Camcorder of the year" award at http://www.camcorderinfo.com.

5. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Canon have better PQ in general, but with good light. Sony tends to be better in low light. Panasonic is better still however doesn't have the IS that Sony does. For the best ALL AROUND I vote Sony.