Canon Wide angle lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Barnzee, May 23, 2011.

1. Barnzee macrumors regular

So I decided to go ahead and pick up the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens because I don't see myself buying a full size sensor camera anytime in the near future.

I was considering buying this lens used. would you guys reccommend buying one used? or would I be better off getting this thing new?

2. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

If you can find it used, go for it. Stay away from ebay, only deal locally with craigslist for camera lenses.

3. throne macrumors newbie

Used is definitely the way to go. Just make sure that you bring your camera to test it out if buying locally.

4. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

I recommend buying Used. For Canon Lenses, there are a pair of Forum B&S Boards, I will suggest to you. Craigslist is an option, but make sure your not getting burned price wise. From my experience, quite a few people that sell camera gear on CL, tend to price Lenses & Bodies, within 10% of New Prices, b/c they are not aware of what the Used Market dictates.

I have been buying & selling on the following boards for the past 5 years. I have yet to have a bad experience or bad transaction.

Fred Miranda B&S: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

Photo On The Net B&S: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Neither board requires anything other than a Free Membership, to buy gear. If you ever decide to sell gear, FM requires either an Image Upload or B&S Subscription.

5. Anvil Image macrumors member

I'll second Photography on the Net... The classifieds there are extensive and move fast. A lot of ads get posted there and you need to jump on a deal fast when you see it.

Also, check into the Sigma 10-20mm lens for crop bodies. It's a great value for the money and is capable of turning out excellent images.

6. rebby macrumors 6502

Another vote for POTN. I got my 10-22 there and it was practically new.

7. tinman0 macrumors regular

I'd buy used on Ebay without a problem. Just check feedback as per normal.

(Btw, if you haven't bought already, check the Tokina 11-16 - stunning build quality, wider aperture, and very sharp).

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

another vote for FM. I have been on there for 6 + years and never have had a problem. I have had both the 10-22mm and the Sigma 10-20mm. They are close in optics. Build quality, I think the Sigma is better and optically I would give the nod to Sigma as well. Of course Sigmas' variant of lenses (QC) is hit and miss, more so than Canon.