Canon XF 100 finally arrived. Ask away.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TheStrudel, Oct 4, 2011.

1. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

After six months of waiting, my Canon XF 100 finally arrived. Yes, I ordered it in April. I intend to eventually put together a review, as there are precious few of those floating around, but that will take some time, and I work a lot of hours (not in video). In the meantime, feel free to ask me questions and I will look into them and try to respond.

If you want test footage of something in particular, I will try to accommodate you. It may take a while for me to get there. I will try to eventually get some up.

If nothing else, the questions should push me to explore this sooner rather than later, and give me material with which to flesh out a review.

I am running FCP 6, on Snow Leopard. 2008 2.8ghz Octad Mac Pro. Everything seems quite fast, so I haven't seen a need to upgrade to FCP X yet...plus I'd like them to add native support for the MXF format these cameras use.

Some quick thoughts:

-Video quality is stellar until you really start cranking up the gain, which is clearly something one wants to avoid in any case. It may only be a one-chip camera, but it outperforms many 3-chip cameras.

-Great screen. Nothing beats a separate, larger, higher resolution monitoring screen, but this one is quite large for the size of the camera itself. Speaking of, this is a small camera. I'd seen pictures and video of it before, but in person it seems even smaller. Looks ideal for run-and-gun or documentary shooting. I've had a DSLR weigh more with a large lens onboard.

-720p60 is nice on this camera. Quite nice.

-Infrared is kind of cool. Not something you'd buy the camera for, but one heck of a nifty bonus.

-They say on the website that you need to use specific compact flash cards for the 720p60 and over-cranking functionality. Or at least that they can only guarantee that it works with the listed cards. It seems to have full functionality with a RiData 555X 64 GB CF card, which doesn't list anywhere on their compatibility matrix. Something to try before you start sinking a lot of money into card that won't do what you want, but there is flexibility.

-That over-cranking looks smooth as butter.

-This guy is backordered like crazy. Doesn't seem to last long in stock. I can see why: I have a hard time seeing how you'd get better quality out for $3,000. Sure, Scarlet may wipe the floor with it when it eventually releases, but until then, this is a great camera.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Congrats on the camera, dude! You MUST post footage soon! ;)

Yeah, IF the Scarlet ever releases. They've been talking about that camera since early 2009. Firmware issues are the "official" reason it isn't shipping yet (but they were also saying the same about the early Epic prototypes).

But honestly, I think there's more money for RED selling the One and the Epic and that will continue to be the primary focus. Heck, the One isn't even "done" yet. Notice how everything they make (hardware and software alike) is in a constant state of beta. Don't get me wrong, I've worked with the One many times and I adore that camera, but it's certainly a love/hate relationship in post whenever they decide to change things.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

The XF100 doesn't have SDI out and timecode synching.

It won't work with FCP X yet out of the box. Some guy has written a nifty little app (donationware) to unpack the MXF files to use them in FCP X. Have the link on my machine in the office. If anyone is interested, I'll post the link tomorrow.

Mine will go on order next week. B&H states delivery now in 2-4 weeks.

5. Jbgloss macrumors member

Jbgloss

Great Camera!!

Glad you got yours -

I got mine last month before I headed down here to Colombia. I have been shooting. The only issue I have is MXF files... grrrrr I have to bring them in using Cannon software, then convert to pro res using ANUSOFT. This creates massive bloated files. I am using FCX and it does not accept Cannon file natively yet.... I hope soon :)

I am not editing on my older MacBook Pro I have down here with me. It is just way to slow. I have a MC Air too but no way. I get home to the beast next week. My 3.33 6 Core MP. Will be editing all my footage from around Colombia.

I love the size of the camera.... I use a few different Mic set ups but my run in gun is with a Audio Technic shorty shotgun on board. I can fit it in a very small gear bag. I actually been shooting a lot of Full Auto -

I would suggest setting some of the custom color presets - I used the indoor and outdoor ones here and they really help......

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-hd-camcorders/

Just search that forum. They have some really good info

I know you are going to love the camera. I am having a blast with it here in Colombia. I will post some of my footage from the mountains when I get home last week we spend the weekend in Laguna Guatavita - amazing place where the original "El Dorado" legend started.

Have fun with the camera!!!! If you run into issues or can share ideas please post. I am thinking about grabbing another one for the office.

We just need to make MXF files native FCX :)

JB

6. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

7. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

8. TheStrudel thread starter macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Which shotgun mic did you get? I needed to get one, but what I'm looking for is really the best one I can buy for not more than $400 that will fit in its microphone bracket without showing in the picture when it's at the widest focal length.

As an aside, I was totally okay with  unceremoniously dropping a lot of tape support in FCPX, but it was bizarre to me that they didn't include native MXF support, especially because they were pushing tapeless formats. It's even more bizarre when you consider that I'm on FCP 6, not even FCP 7, and there's native MXF support there.

9. cgbier macrumors 6502a

There's the utility I was writing about yesterday. I haven't, due to lack of an XF, tested it, but there are some glowing comments on it on the Apple Discussion Boards.

Question: It is said that "thin" mics are too thin to fit in the mic holder. I got a NTG-2. Does anyone know if it fits?

10. Jbgloss, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Jbgloss macrumors member

Jbgloss

Here is my set up

I am using this mic on board AT875R. It comes in at only $189 bucks and then another $20 for O rings - I put a few pictures here so you can see. This is my run and gun set up. Make sure you get the o-rings if you go this set-up... and a short XLR cable. I coil about a 6 footer so I can take it off in a hurry. When I get home I think I am going to buy one of the coiled ones instead of just taking a regular XLR and coiling it up.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ica_AT875R_AT875_Short_Condenser_Shotgun.html

The Rodes I have heard are great. I am not sure about fit. You can see by the pictures you have some good room so I don't think it will be an issue. But I don't have one so I don't want to tell you it will fit. My NT3 won't but it is a condensor and a different beast :)

I carry with me in my bag a Sennheiser EW 100G3 Wirless system with lav and a countryman headset for massive wind or noise. For interviews I boom up the RODE NT3 - it is a condensor mic that I boom above both people and it pics up good audio. That is what I carry in my bag. Here are some pics with the ATR on - with the O rings.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by MorningCoach.com, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please ask any questions you have, I don't have any video up as I am down here in Colombia. I just got the 2 Mics in right before I left - the NT3 and the Audio Technica.....

I was impressed with the Audio Technica - I really like the mic for the size and for outdoors it does pretty good. Check out some of the reviews BHP photo. It is tiny and makes the overall size is this camera almost consumer size.

I am still running only with the Cannon battery, but a lot of people are having success with the $39 Japanese battery on Ebay. I will post the link once I get home next week and order a few and test them out myself. I hate to recommend something I have not used yet. But pretty good deal then the $200 bucks for the Cannon Batteries.

I have been reading about that utility too, but I hate messing with things like that and then have an update come up that causes issues. I am hoping Apple and Cannon get this worked out with X so it is native... But if it doesn't happen in the near future I may have to try that utility. I get HUGE files with the ANUSOFT I mean crazy.... but it is what it is.

Hope this helps :)

JB

11. cgbier macrumors 6502a

20 bucks for a bunch of rubber rings? :eek:
    Take your mic and visit a car parts store. Those O-rings shouldn't cost you more than two or three bucks.

----------

i don't trust ebay batteries, but LA Color sells third party batteries that he has tested himself.

12. Jbgloss macrumors member

Jbgloss

LOLOL so true

LMAO - so true - I was heading out of the country for a month so I did not have time. The guy at BH recommended them so I told them just throw them in the box.

Check this forum on your Rode question - it is kind of slow, but they have some good conversations on shotgun mics there and if yours will fit. You may need some O rings but I am sure you will do better then my $2 a piece ones.... LOL

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-hd-camcorders

Hey thanks for the link.... Like I said I am running with Cannon and it holds up pretty good I shot about 2.5 hours in the Mountains last Sat and still had about half a battery left. Still want 2-3 in the bag with me.... Thanks for the link!!!!

Love this place,

JB

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Any suggestions for a good carrying case for the XF100? Solid shell would be nice but I'd like to see what's out there even if it isn't briefcase style.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

any thoughts to using wheels? How much stuff are you carrying? I use a think tank photo airport security bag to wheel along my NX5U.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-security-v2-roller-camera-bag.aspx

Once you start using wheels your'll never go back!

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

16. dtechlogic macrumors regular

I like this camera. I might purchase it next year. If canon xf300 drops in price I might just get that one. Expensive hobby.

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I wanted to post these instructions for users running Snow Leopard that are trying to install the Canon XF Plugin for Final Cut Pro X (plugin v2.0), which requires Lion to run the installer. Really you only need to trick the installer into thinking you have Lion. This link will take you to the download for the plugin (you must select Mac OS 10.7 Lion)

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professio...ras/hd_video_cameras/xf100#DriversAndSoftware

Once you download, if your computer is running Snow Leopard the dmg won't launch until you follow these instructions:

Go to HD:/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
    Copy the file to the Desktop
    Open the original with a text editor and change the string value of 'ProductVersion' and 'ProductUserVisibleVersion' to 10.7.2
    Save & Overwrite.
    Install the plugin
    Move back the original SystemVersion.plist from the Desktop

If you can't save the plist file, right click "Get Info" on the CoreServices folder, Library Folder, System folder, and even Macintosh HD, and change your permissions to Read & Write.
    This will let users on 10.6.8 install the plugin! Enjoy

18. WRP macrumors 6502a