Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paradoxibis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
I'm looking at the Canon XF100 HD but I want to make sure I don't have trouble using it with FCP. Have anyone else tested it on Final Cut Studio?:apple:

Any feedback will be appreciated.

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
I'm looking at the Canon XF100 HD but I want to make sure I don't have trouble using it with FCP. Have anyone else tested it on Final Cut Studio?:apple:

Any feedback will be appreciated.

You will be fine with fcs/fcp7 and the canon included xf plugin to transcode to prores. If you're thinking fcpx then I'd check their compatibility chart.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I have a Canon XF100 and don't think Canon released a plugin for FCP X yet. Can use Canons XF Utility do download to a folder then use third party utility to convert it. Have not fully tested yet.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I too have the XF 100, using it with FCS, haven't purchased FCX until Canon/Apple releases a codec supporting XF camcorders.

the XF100 works flawlessly with Final Cut Pro (NOT FCX), just install the included plugin, and during log and transfer, select whether you want to transcode to Pro Res 422, or just native (which I do, since there is no difference, and saves a TON, TON, TON of space) in the preferences of Log and Transfer. After that, the video files are rewrapped in .mov, and no rendering of any kind is needed. I LOVE it, and I can't wait until FCX is compatible with the XF codec.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Do you do chromakeying? You see any difference between ProRes and the MPEG2?

Sorry, I do not do chromakeying, so I do not know. Converting to Pro Res is pretty quick, even on my 2.4 Penryn MBP, I just choose to stay with native because it saves me space, and the quality is great (I see no difference between Pro Res and native in my application).

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry, I do not do chromakeying, so I do not know. Converting to Pro Res is pretty quick, even on my 2.4 Penryn MBP, I just choose to stay with native because it saves me space, and the quality is great (I see no difference between Pro Res and native in my application).

And you probably wouldn't see a difference, actually. The XF100's color space is 4:2:2 and so are most flavors of ProRes.

But there are reasons outside of chroma keying to transcode to ProRes. One of the key ones is getting out of the long-GOP compression that is inherent in MPEG-2 streams. It cuts slower, requires constant rendering and can potentially cause problems with effects filters and transitions.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
One of the key ones is getting out of the long-GOP compression that is inherent in MPEG-2 streams. It cuts slower, requires constant rendering and can potentially cause problems with effects filters and transitions.
Hey, I'm (still) working with HDV.... tell me about it ;)

I wasn't so much afraid about the color resolution, but about the compression.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Just confirmed it. I used Aunsoft video converter to take the MXF video from the Canon XF100 and convert it to ProRes that imports perfectly into FCP X.

slybacon

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
Converting Canon XF100 files to FCP - help

I'm green with this camera and also with FCP. I uploaded footage to my Mac using the Canon XF Utility instead of the Plug In for FCP as I did not yet have it installed on my computer. FCP doesn't want to recognize the files (each folder contains .CIF, .THM, .MXF and .SIF files. How can I convert any or all of these so that FCP recognizes them? Also, can you recommend the settings I should use in FCP to work best with the Canon XF100? Any help -expressed in simple English for a newbie-would be appreciated. Thanks.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
You'll need the MXF plugin. MXF is not a codec or container that FCP will understand natively.

Andre Fox

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
XF codec editing in FCP X is able to be done with XDCAM plugin!!!

Hey guys,

I'd been trying to use my XF100 for a while with Final Cut Pro X and finally figured out that the XDCAM transfer utility works for the XF codec (I guess because it's really the same codec for both cameras - mpeg2 hd422).

I used the link on the apple support FAQ:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4724

Just follow the steps and you'll be able to import the MXF files into your computer while at the same time wrapping them in a .mov wrapper. I'm pretty sure there's no transcoding since it's ridiculously fast and the file size hardly changes at all. I'd been using foxreal video converter to convert before and that ballooned the files and took literally 1000 times longer!

Check it out and let me know what you think!
Andre

eszeto

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
Hey guys,

I'd been trying to use my XF100 for a while with Final Cut Pro X and finally figured out that the XDCAM transfer utility works for the XF codec (I guess because it's really the same codec for both cameras - mpeg2 hd422).

I used the link on the apple support FAQ:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4724

Just follow the steps and you'll be able to import the MXF files into your computer while at the same time wrapping them in a .mov wrapper. I'm pretty sure there's no transcoding since it's ridiculously fast and the file size hardly changes at all. I'd been using foxreal video converter to convert before and that ballooned the files and took literally 1000 times longer!

Check it out and let me know what you think!
Andre

XDCAM worked for video but not audio. now it's all off...any suggestions?

Andre Fox

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
Ah, heck, your right about the audio getting screwed up. I'm going to have to play around witht this a little more. Sorry.
Andre

Yeah, I'm troubleshooting this issue and it looks like the main problem is even though the video codec for the xdcam and the xf100 is the same, the audio codecs are different.
So this is a no go.
Andre

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Canon releases FCP X plugin for MXF camcorders

Canon has finally released a plugin for Final Cut Pro X for any camcorder that uses the MXF file extension.

I installed it and it directly imports the MXF files from the Camera or card reader into FCP X.

Just go to Canons support page to download the file:

Canon XF Plugin for Final Cut Pro X 2.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.