Canon XH A1 Update?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mtfield, Jul 22, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

I'm getting more and more ready to pick up a HD camera and completing my set up. The camera i'm eyeing is the Canon XH A1. However it's been out over 2+ years which for the tech world means there should be an update or price drop or something like that... so i was just wondering if there was any talk about the future of this camera? Thanks!

2. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Did you ever end up getting the XH-A1? I bought mine used off of dvinfo.net a few weeks ago.

3. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

How are you liking it? No, I still haven't purchased it... I have been close a few times, but each time something happens (like RED saying they were redoing the scarlet) or another competitor pushing out their new camera... so, i've been hoping that Canon will follow through and really wow me... but red's statement on combining and SLR with a 3k camera has really caught my attention... especially if it is still going to be less then $3k

4. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I've only had it a couple weeks and have just gone shooting with it once. We watched what I recorded on my semi-old school 40" Sony XBR CRT TV (the one we bought in 2002) and the footage looked pretty nice. Everything was in full auto mode though.

My big thing is that I'm really new to all this. Prior to this XH-A1, I had a Sony HC1 and was doing very simple stuff with that and iMovie. I wanted to get into doing more with a camera (like a short film project, recording stand-up comedy) and the XH-A1 seemed like a well established way to get into this. It had been out for a little while, had a big following so I figured it'd be easier to get advice.

I went the used route, buying it for $2750 off a seller on dvinfo.net. The person selling it had a 4 year extended Mack Warranty w/ it so that made me pretty comfortable going the used route. Maybe I'll use this camera for a couple of years, and once the Scarlett comes out and there's a lot known about it, I'll get that? Scarlett's not out til Nov 2009 I believe though, right? Perhaps that's something for you to consider too. If you buy used w/ a warranty, you could probable sell a year or two later for not much loss I would think.