Canon XL2 and 24p question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by digitaltoaster, Jun 12, 2008.

1. digitaltoaster macrumors newbie

We are making a tutorial and will be using a Canon XL2. The tutorial is going to be put out on DVD and later on the web for download. Initially it will be NTSC but having a PAL option would be advantages.

My DP is suggesting that we shoot in 24p and 16:9, and my question is if this is the best format for both DVD output and future web output. I realize that 16:9 is not the best if someone does not have a widescreen to view on.

I am taking the liberty to quote killmoms.com from another thread on here.

Also, is the camera capturing at 29.97 or 23.976. I have tried to read up as much on this in another thread posted here, but still a bit confused.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=468801&highlight=xl2+24p

By background is in still photography and I am trying my best to get a grip on this:confused:

Thanks in advance!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the camera captures 23.976 but writes it to tape as 29.97. the best way to avoid issues is to capture at 29.97 when bringing the tape into FCP and then removing the pulldown using Cinema Tools.

3. digitaltoaster thread starter macrumors newbie

bigbossbmb:

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

We initially debated using 60i since one can do a clean split to 15 fps or 30 fps for web use. However we like the 24p look and wish to go that route.

Are there any further issues that you foresee in 24p that we should be aware of. The set will be well lit so no strobing and we will use slow pans...and no fast model movements.

Any problems with creating a NTSC and Pal and web edit from the 24p footage that we need to address?

Thanks again!

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

just make sure you remove the pulldown from all of your files in Cinema Tools, before you start doing anything else. edit in a 23.976 timeline in FCP.

When you're done, you should just run your timeline through Compressor and let it do the NTSC>PAL conversion. If you set your Frame Controls to better/best, you'll get some really nice results.

5. digitaltoaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for that info. I wanted to be better informed on the subject and understand some of the tech aspects.

Yes we will use FCP and the "best" settings.

Cheers....T