Canon XSI help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Duke&tank, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Duke&tank macrumors member

hi im new here and im looking in to getting a XSI/450D im upgrading from a Canon S3 IS.

First to start off to help you help me i like to take a lot of photos of dog i go Hiking a lot and take alot of photo when i go i prefer to take photos with out flash for the natural look i also like taking photos at night with long shutter speeds for that trail of light look. that abouts it

so hear is the deal im getting a XSI/450D for my High school Graduation i have a choice get the XSI/450D with the kit lens 18-55mm or i can just get the XSI/450D no lens and get the 55-250mm lens what do you think is the better choice for what i do?

Thank you for all the input
    Aaron

XSI with kit lens
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234767294&sr=8-1

55-250m les
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250m...p/B0011NVMO8/ref=acc_glance_foto_ai_113_1_tit

2. toxic macrumors 68000

get the kit. standard zooms span the focal lengths that are used the most, so it's a good place to start. if you always find yourself on the long end, then sell it and grab a 55-250 instead. i personally think the 55-250 is too long for a general purpose lens...

also consider the 28-135 if you don't mind buying used. starts out decently wide and zooms in quite a bit. next, save a couple hundred for a good tripod + head, if you don't have one already.

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

4. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

gotta agree with the 28-135mm lenses, you'll get both near and far shots. especially since your "graduation" will be crowded and you dont want a zoom lenses banging everybody's head. However i rather use a straight off 50mm. Its good for nearly everything (in my experience)

5. Duke&tank thread starter macrumors member

ok thank you all for the input i think i well get the kit lens first then upgrade to the28-135MM at a later date and i wold like in the long run to get the 50mm 1.4F lens and i have a good tripod what is a head?

Thank you

Aaron

6. toxic macrumors 68000

the head is the part that attaches the tripod to the camera. better ones are more stable and easier to manipulate.

7. Duke&tank thread starter macrumors member

oh ok thank you i will look in to how good mine is

Aaron

8. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I was in a similar situation that you are in. I saved up and went for the 24-105L. It's a little pricey, but I never take it off of my camera! Ok, every now and then when shooting sports I'll use a zoom, but for day to day shooting the 24-105L is amazing. It's on my camera 90% of the time.

If I were you and going to buy just one lens, that's the one I would get.

9. Duke&tank thread starter macrumors member

10. gmecca2 macrumors regular

Go with the kit lens. I have them both and have only used the larger one for one day at the beach. Otherwise everything, even on vacation was shot with 18-55.

11. Duke&tank thread starter macrumors member

ok thank you i think i well stay with the kit lens for now and upgrade down the road i am also keeping my eyes on ebay for lens

Aaron