Canon XTI?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ironic, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

The chain store had a clearance on the rebel xti for 360.00 for the kit including the lens, this is my first SLR camera, is it a good deal and a OK camera?

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yeah, that's a good deal on a good camera, but the kit lens that comes with it is sub-par. The newer version of the kit lens (the "IS" version) is leagues better.

3. Ironic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ironic

I am just starting out and was going to get the fixed lens Canon or the nikon p80 but this was a good deal.

4. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Yeah, I compared the build quality between the new kit lens (found on 1000D, 450D and maybe some other that I dont know of) and the old kit lens (400D) and the new kit lens is definitely better build. And it comes with IS which is good when the shutter drops below 1/100

Anyway, the XTi is a good camera, I told my friends that its not about the body (unless you need a better body because you need a faster camera, better low light or etc), its about the lens. Get quality lens and it will do wonders to your picture, the color is much better and etc. Hmm, maybe I should start a thread about comparing kit lens and expensive lenses? (portraits should do a fair comparison). Besides lenses get an external flash (I will get this after I earn enough money to buy myself a zoom lens), I tried some night photography before and its a whole different experience, it is slower (cause of the slower shutter speed and you will need to have a tripod to get a clear image) but some objects that look plain in daylight look totally different at night and with some lighting.

So keep us updated :D

5. anubis macrumors 6502a

That wouldn't be a terrible deal for a new XTI even without the kit lens. Although, that kit lens is one of the worst lenses canon ever made, so you might as well try to sell it on ebay or throw it in the trash and get a quality lens

6. Ironic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ironic

Think I will use it a bit to get use to the camera, then maybe get a few new lenses.

7. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Yeah, its all about the lens baby ;). Love my EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, coupled with my 1000D, its a 160mm lens and it take fast and excellent clear portraits, I can capture a person jump with 0 blur.

8. Ironic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ironic

I went lens sopping today just to look and found a few sweet ones.