Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgingrich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hey Guys,

I'm just looking for some advice/feedback. I'm looking to buy a really affordable camcorder that's pretty decent. Basically I'm looking to record family stuff and maybe toying around with making a few short films. Nothing too professional, but I want a good camcorder.

I've looked at a few sites and have my eye set on a Canon ZR200 ($300). Does anyone have any experience with this model that could provide feedback. Also please post suggestions for any other camcorders that you think would be worthwhile checking out ($150-$350 price level).

I think I'm going to head over to circuit city tomorrow to check a few out.

iRhyknow

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
I'm looking at the same model and at the $300 range it seems to be the best one.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i have an old canon ZR 40 and i love it.... i would definitely buy another canon camcorder again, for the price and image quality definitely a good buy. I know mine its compatible for imovie so that's a plus

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Canon announced a new line of the ZR series recently. IIRC the new $300 unit will be the ZR500. It appears to be smaller.

And the new Elura 100 at $399 looks very impressive.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Canon announced a new line of the ZR series recently. IIRC the new $300 unit will be the ZR500. It appears to be smaller.

And the new Elura 100 at $399 looks very impressive.

I have a ZR-60 that is horrible in low light/indoors.. maybe the heads need to be cleaned but the video noise is horrible on my night time shots indoors with only a few floor lamps on full blast.

I only wish i could either find a setting that i am missing to mimimize the video noise on th ZR-60 (grainy in low light) or i was thinking just to upgrade to one of those Panasonic 3CCD deals that are around the $550 range.

I noticed in 16:9 mode the ZR-60 a bit less grainy, but still at times looks worse than i remember my Sony Hi-8 looked like in low light....

My XL1 on the other hand is great.. but you cant really compare the two.

Ed

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Ed H said:
I have a ZR-60 that is horrible in low light/indoors.. maybe the heads need to be cleaned but the video noise is horrible on my night time shots indoors with only a few floor lamps on full blast.

I only wish i could either find a setting that i am missing to mimimize the video noise on th ZR-60 (grainy in low light) or i was thinking just to upgrade to one of those Panasonic 3CCD deals that are around the $550 range.

I noticed in 16:9 mode the ZR-60 a bit less grainy, but still at times looks worse than i remember my Sony Hi-8 looked like in low light....

My XL1 on the other hand is great.. but you cant really compare the two.

Ed

Hm....I sorta thought the Sonys were generally better in low light...

From what I hear, the Eluras are good cameras...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.