Canon ZR45 compatible with imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by midnitevulture8, Oct 18, 2008.

1. midnitevulture8 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have just recently purchased an aluminum 20" iMac and already own a Canon ZR45 DV camcorder. After buying a Logiix retractable firewire cable to connect the two, I found that my mac isn't even recognizing the camcorder or even that anything is plugged into my firewire 400 port (as seen through system profiler). Am I screwed? I have been on every message board and seen so many different opinions, but I am no computer expert and don't feel comfortable "zapping the PRAM" or anything requiring more than a cursory knowledge of computing.

Is my firewire port faulty? It should be noted I took my camera to the local London Drugs and also Future Shop and tried my camera in their macs using my own firewire cable and also one of theirs, and still nothing, which makes me think that I am just missing something here and there is not a hardware problem.

In iMovie 08 (preinstalled) when the camcorder is plugged in and on Play/VCR mode, I press the capture button (video cam pic) and it automatically brings up my iSight camera. Very frustrating!

Any suggestions or advice would be wonderful!

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane