Canon's Digital Photo Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scubaj, Oct 1, 2007.

1. scubaj macrumors member

I was able to install the software for DPP from Canon on the MBP, but it does not seem able to load thumbnails or imagery for any kind of viewing or editing. I also updated it to the latest and greatest version so one would think the raw conversion software would be there as well. Yet when I navigate to a folder of raw images I imported onto the MBP, I can't see squat. Suggestions or ideas?

2. scubaj thread starter macrumors member

Wow...thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate all the help...:confused:

3. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Great attitude...

Your post has been viewed like 110 times by forum members, so it hasn't gone unnoticed. Have you thought that maybe nobody has an honest answer for your dilemma? Instead of assuming that at this forum we are all a bunch of segregating users that only help those we randomly choose?

Have you tried contacting Cannon tech help?

4. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

perhapse the mods could move the to digi-pho forum

5. scubaj thread starter macrumors member

Apologies for the perception that I have an attitude...just still perplexed. I actually did contact Canon first...and their response was pretty much "just trash it". Yes, I know they were talking about the trashcan, but the sense between the lines I got was that their support lives in a Windows world and I have not gotten anywhere with them other than suggestions to re-install, after deleting everything, which I have now done like 3 times. Will try once more, but am getting a little frustrated with software installations in general.

As I think I may have mentioned (*grin*), I am a Windows convert, so some of the way things are done is a little bit of a mind shift for me. Do I just drag the DMG files into the Applications folder? My mindet has always been to decompress CAB files into an expanded set of folders and to run an executable file with plugins and DLL's, so pardon the ignorance of how the Mac platform works.

I'l get there eventually, just bear in mind that I am used to being an "expert" and am having troubles working at computers from the "novice" perspective. Any ideas or suggestions?

6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

No, you don't want to put the *.dmg files in the application folder. dmg's are Disc Images. Think of them as a virtual CD. To install a program that you have a disk image for, double click on the *.dmg file. That will "Mount" the disk image. A folder will pop up showing the contents of the disc image. Usually, it will contain the app, that you can just drag THAT into the app folder to install the app. Occasionally (and I think this may be the case with the Canon software, I can't remember), the disc image may contain an installer, which works much like a windows installer. But this is the exception and not the norm.

Did that help? It sounds like you are running the canon software from the disc image and haven't actually installed it onto the drive....

Oh, and for Canon questions can I recommend photography-on-the.net forums? They are great....

7. Halcyon macrumors 6502

No sweat.
    Like somebody else already suggested, posting this on a Digital Photo Forum section will get much better response.

Hope you get the issue resolved.