Canon's Live Learning Workshop Feedback

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by 100Teraflops, Mar 27, 2011.

1. 100Teraflops, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Hello Photographers,

Finally, I bought a new camera. :) After handling several cameras in a store- I chose a Canon 60d kit with an ef-s 18-135 lens. After registering my camera and lens, I was directed to Canon's Digital Learning Center and found out that a workshop/seminar will be held very close to me residence. I am impressed thus far with the camera, but I want to formally learn the ins and and outs of my camera.

Furthermore, what do you folks think about a workshop sponsored by Canon? The workshop is $150.00 USD, which seems reasonable saying the workshop covers the claimed information. I would bring the camera and possibly a laptop, permitting of course.

I want to learn every feature of my camera from people who possess more knowledge than me and I am willing to pay for such service. I assume the money will be well spent, but what do you'll think? Is it a good idea to learn the ropes from a pro? Or, do people think I should learn by trial and error?

This is a link to the home of the workshops, as i am referring to the immersion workshop:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2068

I know it is subjective, but I seek counsel regardless! :)

As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated! :D

2. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Ive always wanted to go to one of the Nikon workshops, or one of the ones that are put on by local camera shops, but was never able to find the time, and never wanted to part with that much money.

So while I can;t give firsthand feedback, what I think I can say is that most of these one day/weekend workshops really only cover the basic principles, and probably don't have a great deal of time devoted to taking pictures or getting feedback from the instructor. Since there is a TON of information on the internet on the principles of photography, composition, etc..I think your probably better off spending an afternoon or weekend doing your own research online, going out and taking photos, and posting here to get feedback of your work.

Thats pretty much what I did and it worked well for me. The only photography course I feel I would be inclined to take now is maybe a continuing ed type course, where your in a class for a semester and are given photo assignments, and have more one on one time with an instructor.

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I agree with glocke. I attended a weekend workshop put on by one of the local photography schools. It did give a variety of presentations but for the beginner it was mostly what are f stops, what are the dials on your camera, etc and some basics-if you want to get a milky look in flowing water use this setting. When I started to get back into picture taking after years of being away from it, I found more help from using the internet and purchasing Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure, or other similar books. But I am a book learner first hands on experience second. That's waht I am more comfortable with.
    The best I can offer, IMO, is first learn your camera. What I mean is what the various dials and buttons can do. Then go out and play with it and experiment. Then go back and use a reference like UE and then go back out again. I find taking pictures is a constant learning experience. This site has been a tremendous help with so many talented people so willing to give honest feedback and great information.

4. 100Teraflops, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Thanks for the feedback folks! I am still deciding whether to enroll in the workshop or just have a hands on session instead. I learn from books too, but first hand experience has been beneficial in which I have learned valuable lessons.

I am shooting a few hundred photos per day and the camera feels like an extension of my hand. I am shooting videos too! Thanks for recommending the book Sir. I plan to buy a few books in the future. I will search several forums to find excellent sources. I saw a book specifically written about my camera. Now finding it again will take some time. I plan to post some pictures soon, because feedback is an important aspect of learning the ropes. If I do not know what is wrong, then I cannot fix the problem.

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

6. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

7. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

Brian Peterson's Understanding Exposure is among the best. Great advice.

8. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Thank you for the feedback! Looks like I had better buy the book sooner then I intended. :cool: