Canopus ADVC110

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Nickn4u, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Nickn4u macrumors newbie

I recently purchased Canopus ADVC110 to convert all of my VHS tapes onto DVDs. I have a few questions concerning the product. Thanks in advance for any information!

1. Do you input the VHS’ into iMovie or another program? I can figure out how to import the videos into iMovie, however I can not finish loading a movie because it is taking more than 11 gigs to covert the materials. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to clear a lot more memory in order to do this.
    2. Is there a program that will shrink the files so I can work with them on my computer/iMovie.
    3. If the files are so big, how do you put them onto a dvd?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

1. The DV format, which is what your computer captures via the Canopus, is around 13 gigs/hr.

2. Just buy a FW drive to store the media on while you work with it.

3. When you import the finished movie into iDVD iDVD will compress the files down into the MPEG-2 format in order to make the DVD. IIRC using iDVD you can fit 2hrs of video on a DVD.

Lethal

3. Nickn4u thread starter macrumors newbie

ADVC100/FW Drive

Thanks, I am not that computer savvy and wanted to know if a firewire external drive is the same as a regular external drive. I have the Lacie rugged 160 gig external drive. I see that there is a firewire outlet on it. Do I plug the advc110 into my computer or into the Lacie external drive. Thanks again.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have no idea what you mean by "regular external drive." FireWire is the connection between the drive and your computer. If you plug the camcorder into your computer, then it will work. If you try to daisy chain the computer, drive, and camcorder by plugging the camcorder into the drive, then it might work.