Canoscan LiDE 500f

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Koll, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Koll macrumors member

Hi

I've got a Canoscan LiDE 500f scanner and I've installed Lion. Come to use it and I get a message saying "You can't open the application Canoscan Toolbox X because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

Does this mean I've got to buy a new scanner? Can't find any drivers for this scanner, which I bought from Apple, for Lion.

Wished I hadn't installed Lion. Not impressed and it does nothing for me, but that's another matter!

TIA

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You are mixing up hardware and software.

That scanner has drivers available for Snow Leopard, and there's a chance they'll work in ML. You should give it a try.

The other question is about software; you'll need to buy new software to do whatever it is that Toolbox X does. Not knowing anything about that product, it's hard to recommend an alternative. But guessing that it's a product supplied as a freebie with your scanner, there's probably tons of stuff for Lion or ML that would do.

3. Koll thread starter macrumors member

After a bit of searching I found posts by people having the same problem. Someone had found a solution and I've just copied what they did, and it has worked.

Thanks

4. MacScrub macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. Do you mind posting what the fix was, or linking me to the fix? Thanks!

5. bernardcollin macrumors newbie

same problem...

Happy for you that you found the solution... could be nice for others to let us know where you found it...