CanSecWest's Pwn2Own convince you to use Chrome???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Drag'nGT, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

So after reading the results from CanSecWest, I have decided that I might wanna commit to using Chrome. I hate jumping from browsers that I like (Safari). I never got into Firefox. BTW, anyone know if FF had any extensions running during the test and if not would something like NoScript prevent the vulnerability?

Has anyone else changed browsers because of increased security? I know that Apple has holes in OSX that need to be fixed but they don't, I think, because they feel there's no threat. I'd rather know I'm locked down & I'm not a target because of it. Okay, I won't go on that rant.

Anyway. What do you guys think?

Also, how's the 1Password Alpha work? Pretty good? It's the one gripe I have.

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I use different browsers all the time. My preference is for a 64-bit version, hence Safari and Minefield bits. I sometimes use Chrome and Opera, but, usually it comes down to Safari or Minefield. I like 64-bit browsers because a local compromise is less likely to spread everywhere from the browser.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The problem with the conferences is that they use default setups for the OS and the browsers, which unfortunately are not that secure. It's not until you, the user, setups the preferences until the OS and browser become more secure. It doesn't make them impenetrable, but does significantly improve your security stance. Extensions like NoScript do protect from certain vulnerabilities, but others do exist that don't use JavaScript, so it's not a one-stop solution.

Chrome may not have been hacked at this conference, but it doesn't mean there's not vulnerabilities. It's still very new so I don't see any reasons to jump to a new browser simply based on the results of the conference. I think it's more important to understand the security settings of the browser you want to use so that you get the most out of it. Other than IE, I consider most browsers to be reasonably secure. The user of the browser is a different story.