Can't access Airport drive after improper disconnects

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by superspiffy, Oct 24, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I've connected an airport drive to my AEBS and I've set it up for access across the Internet. It works great but I've notice that when the computer's connection gets interrupted and disconnected (like when it sleeps) the airport drive won't be accessible anymore despite trying to re-connect to it again and again. I have to go back to the AEBS, reset it, and only then would it work. Is this a well-known problem? Is this a bug? What can I do to prevent this?

2. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

Same issue. As far as I know there is nothing you can do but wait for Apple to (hopefully) fix it.

I'm getting more and more discouraged with the AEBS... I just found you you may not be able to use a networked drive through the AEBS for Time Machine... which was one of the main reasons I bought it.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Known problem (and bigtime!). Its the 7.2.1 firmware. We will have to wait for a fix from Apple.

4. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm really disappointed TM won't work with a networked drive because one of the reasons I got the AEBS was so I didn't have to connect my external hdds to my MBP anymore. Now I have to go back to connecting a TM hd to it again.

Well I'm relieved that this is in fact a well known problem and not just my setup. But I'm disappointed that it's a problem at all. As a late comer to AEBSs, I would've thought Apple fixed a major bug like this by now.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The good news is that some early users report that Leopard improves the connection considerably. I don't know how or if its only coincidental but its there FWIW.

6. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

No need to wait for a fix, just downgrade to 7.1.1 and ignore all upgrades until something newer than 7.2.1 comes on the scene.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not possible on the gigabit versions. 7.2 is the minimum.