Can't access ajax.googleapis.com ...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamesong, May 26, 2011.

1. jamesong macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a mbp running 10.6.7, and I cannot use all the functionality of reddit.com and other sites that use the google jquery.

I've narrowed it down to my mac not being able to connect to ajax.googleapis.com (specifically https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6.1/jquery.min.js). I've tried Chrome, Opera, Safari and Firefox and they all do the same thing.

When I ping the url, I get replies from my local machine. I haven't blocked anything in my hosts file nor have I installed software that would block access to that domain.

I'm at a loss on what to do. Can anyone please help me?
    Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Which browser are you using and what extensions are installed in that browser? You could be subscribed to an automatically updating list of things to block, say from AdBlock Plus for Firefox, or the equivalents for Chrome, Safari, and Opera. If this is the case, it's easy to correct: Add that URL to the extension's whitelist.

3. jamesong thread starter macrumors newbie

I only have adblock plus installed in Chrome, but I've disabled it. All the other browsers don't have any 3rd party extensions installed.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a browser extension would cause replies from the URL to come from 127.0.0.1

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Ah, I misunderstood your post then... check your hosts file. That's the usual cause of such problems.

5. jamesong thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention, but that's the first thing I checked.

I'm reinstalling OSX. I think I jacked something up with onyx and now it won't even boot.

Thanks for the help though!