can't access certain websites on my ibook G4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by martymcfly1885, Nov 20, 2010.

1. martymcfly1885 macrumors newbie

Hi there!

Having a real problem here:

I can't access certain websites on my iBook G4 with Leopard 10.5.8. Websites include Google, Facebook, Youtube and sometimes Apples own site. The problem just started over night. I've done all the usual stuff like clearing the cache, resetting safari etc. BUT it happens on all my browsers: Firefox, Safari and Opera. This is the message I get:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.com.

But it's nothing to do with my internet connection etc because it happens wherever I go. The weird thing is I can use the internet on my desktop G5 via ethernet cable from the laptops airport internet connection just fine. So it's definitely something going on with the browser on the laptop - not the internet connection itself.

All other websites seem to be ok.

Please help!!! :)

Thanks.

2. jdrakeh macrumors newbie

I know that this is a really late response, but I was having the exact same issue with the same hardware and discovered a solution that works for me, so I figured I would share it for the benefit of others.

Step 1: Select "Open Network Preferences"
    Step 2: Select "Advanced"
    Step 3: Select the "TCP/IP" tab
    Step 4: Set "Configure IPv6" to "Off"

This resolved my inability to access all of the aforementioned sites when connected to wireless networks. Tested and confirmed using Camino, Opera, and Safari.