Can't access certain websites without IE6.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WinstonXL, Jul 5, 2008.

1. WinstonXL macrumors newbie

I recently set my parents up with there first mac and so far the transition has gone well. However my fathers job has recently started doing away with paper pay stubs and now everything is accessed online. The problem is the that he can log into the website ok with Safari, but cannot access the secure areas were his information is located. When he attempts to log in it tells him that Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher is required. I have tried Firefox and Camino as well and no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really don't want to have to have them buy a copy of XP just to be able to run Internet Explorer.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If anybody knows how to help you, it will be Clevin
    He will be along shortly, I'm sure
    [he is the resident browser guru]

Good luck, I know it sucks!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What site is it? Your settings could be blocking something like Flash or adblocking. Have you tried accessing the site from other computers?

4. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

I wonder if there is a way to get Safari to spoof its identity to show up as IE.
    Any website that requires IE is poorly coded anyway. (nothing you can prevent though)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There used to be a setting in Safari to do this, but I think it is gone now

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's an add-on to Firefox that does exactly that, so I know it can be done.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thank you
    Spoof may or may not work, but is a good place to start.

OP. Its obviously might be caused by un-necessary discrimination against non IE browser. in which case. the UA spoof might be able to help

However, it might also be the case that the website is using activex technology (which I tend to think IS the case). This is a tough one, and no UA spoof of safari nor firefox can do the trick.

For this latter situation, if you really dislike VM, you can try out options such as installing IE6 through crossover office, or using IEs4OSX. They may or may not work properly.

8. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

You might want to try iCab, since it has the ability to mimic other browsers (there is a free version).

9. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I use Parallels and WinXP for these sites: my company's 401k site requires IE; Firefox and Safari don't work.

I've never tried to set Firefox to spoof the IE headers.

10. myoyo22 macrumors newbie

Access Internet Explorer Websites on Mac

Solution 1 (using SAFARI)

In Safari, access the Develop menu. To enable the Develop menu, go to Preferences ->Advanced ->"Show Develop menu in menu bar."

Click on "Develop" (should be between bookmarks & window), scroll down to "User Agent" and select any of the Internet Explorer options. Done.

Solution 2 (using FIREFOX)

In Firefox, download the "User Agent Switcher" add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59).

After downloading, restart Firefox. Now, click on "Tools" scroll down to "User Agent Switcher" and select "Internet Explorer 7 (Windows Vista)". Done.