Can't access e-mail or login to sites..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SubtleBreeze, Mar 21, 2009.

1. SubtleBreeze macrumors newbie

Thankfully I have my PC to create an account here and type this message.

So the problem is that I cannot access either of my e-mail accounts (hotmail and gmail) on my iMac using both Safari and Firefox (they are the latest versions). I also cannot log in to sites such as Facebook or MySpace with my e-mail accounts using either browser. When I try to log in to hotmail, Facebook, or MySpace, both browsers state that the connection's been interrupted. This problem just occurred today. I tried to clear cache, cookies, and everything else from both browsers but the problem still occurs.

I also cannot use Adium, even after trying to "connect via HTTP" (which some people have deemed to be the problem-solver) or Microsoft Messenger for Mac. I simply cannot utilize my e-mail accounts in any way.

This has never happened before and I have no idea what I did to make this problem occur today.

Hopefully I didn't omit anything. Any and all help would be so greatly appreciated!

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

First of all, is the Mac connected with Ethernet or Airport?
    Secondly, can you see the Mac on the network at all?
    Thirdly, can you transfer a file from your PC to your Mac through your network?
    If you could answer those, we would be able to help you troubleshoot better.

3. SubtleBreeze thread starter macrumors newbie

It's connected via Airport.
    No I do not see the Mac on the network.
    Yes I can.

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Have you also checked to see there is no proxy set up? Did you install or remove anything before the problem started?

5. SubtleBreeze thread starter macrumors newbie

Under Network in the System Preferences, there is nothing selected under the Proxies tab for Airport.

The last thing I might've installed were some appearance add-ons for Adium, and the last thing I downloaded were a couple of icons, but only applied one of them to a new folder. But those wouldn't affect the connection, would they?

But last night my iMac crashed with that little display window saying "You need to restart your computer." in four languages. I don't know what caused that.

EDIT: It seems that my user (it's a standard account) is the only one that's having this problem. The Administrator user and someone else's doesn't have this problem. Checked to see if parental controls were enabled for my account, but they are not.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

In your console application you should find a file on the sidebar titled panic.log. Copy and paste the lines that have the date/time when you noticed the "You need to restart your computer screen," which is known as a kernel panic into this post.

About your wireless internet issue, however. Are you connected to an Apple base station or to a Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, other router? Are you getting an IP address in your network preferences, is a 169.254.x.x address or 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.x? And is it only for the secure websites (ones you need to login to) that you're having the issue?

7. SubtleBreeze thread starter macrumors newbie

Couldn't find "panic.log." However, the closest thing to it that I could find was:
    21/03/09 9:00:11 AM com.apple.familycontrols[830] - the control socket is open (we are preventing a kernel panic)
    However, that was before the crash occurred. I can't find anything about it in the console.

We're connected to a D-Link.

The 10-digit IP begins with 192.168, yes.

And yes, the problem only occurs with websites that require a login with an e-mail (like Facebook and MySpace). Sites that prompt you to enter Usernames instead are fine.

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Ok, so at first glance you're getting a valid IP, you're able to view other sites, just not the ones that require login. Couple ideas: If you suspect a browser issue with Safari, you can try resetting it under the Safari menu, with all options checked, or with Firefox, clearing private data under Tools menu. The only other thing I can think of right now is that there's a firewall either on D-link or on the Mac that's rejecting sites that issue security certificates. The Mac firewall settings are all handled in System Preferences->Security->Firewall. The D-link is out of my hands, though, haven't reconfigured one before...

9. BobZune macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest a permissions repair on the boot disk, and a disk verify. Also run a utility like OnyX and clear out the caches.

[Just for good measure, run the DNSChanger Removel Tool you can get from Version Tracker.]